SD Pheasant Hunt

I luv wearing a good pair of lightweight hunting boots, but always bring a pair Muck boots. conditions dictate what I slip on
not uncommon for dew to hang around beyond 10 a.m. start, and this not only soaks your boots, but can soak your pants. you can always switch to lightweight boots in the afternoon; a nice pair of lightweight waterproof chaps is also great to have handy. I keep an extra pair of socks packed in the truck; you may be an hour or further from where you are staying, and losing a couple of hours of hunting time can be avoided with some thoughtful planning.
My rain gear stays in the truck, as an example
There is always the possibility of rain. Just leave this gear in the back, with the hope you will never need to use it. One morning the the dew was so heavy the wife & I ended up changing, soaked to our waists. It was a good morning of hunting, but just a very heavy dew, slow to burn off.
Hope you and your group have a great trip!
PS If you are bringing dogs, think about their bedding too, as it relates to "wet" conditions.

If it is cold during that time you may have to think about a face mask, neck gaiter, stocking hat, and heavier shooting gloves. I would think most of it would be available locally at a farm store or hardware store if you need them. Maybe double check with your guide if this stuff is available nearby.

If the wind chill is bad enough you may need the face mask. A stocking cap can go right over your ball cap. Your head and neck is where most of your body heat goes and adding or removing the stocking cap and neck gaiter is a good way to regulate your comfort.

Sometimes people are put out to "block" a field. they may be standing for a period of time and will get colder then someone walking. It is possible to overdress. You can work up a sweat under your clothes and that can be the most miserable thing.

If it is cold during that time you may have to think about a face mask, neck gaiter, stocking hat, and heavier shooting gloves. I would think most of it would be available locally at a farm store or hardware store if you need them. Maybe double check with your guide if this stuff is available nearby.

If the wind chill is bad enough you may need the face mask. A stocking cap can go right over your ball cap. Your head and neck is where most of your body heat goes and adding or removing the stocking cap and neck gaiter is a good way to regulate your comfort.

Sometimes people are put out to "block" a field. they may be standing for a period of time and will get colder then someone walking. It is possible to overdress. You can work up a sweat under your clothes and that can be the most miserable thing.
Bring Army extreme cold weather pants, Canadian sorrels , neck goter, merkley hat,Gerry down coat, good gloves.

I also vote for non-insulated boots. Can adjust sock thickness to the conditions. Make sure to have good wool socks. We hunted in that -20 F and windy weekend last December (great hunting by the way) and never had cold feet.

I had Pronghorns - good bang for buck value. Have the Meindl Ultralight boots now and love them.

Back