SD Pheasant Hunt

sluicecoot

I was in charge of planning a bucket list hunt for my hunting group of 6. We will be traveling from CA to hunt pheasants in SD. I was very surprised when I started looking into hunts/lodges. I was actually stunned on how many places plant birds. Who the hell would travel to SD to shoot a bird on a preserve???

Anyways. I booked a hunt. Wanted to see what you guys thought. Booked with Taylor Guide Service (Bill Ferguson) for a three day hunt for wild birds. We will be hunting around Winner, Colome, Burke, Gregory. We also booked a house for rent in Colome (owner is Rod Kasier). We were given the owner of the house's info by the guide, however the guide has never seen the house and there are no photos on the internet (Rolling the dice!). I was hoping someone on here has some experience with this guide/house, or any insight.

Thanks everyone.

About 1400-1500/pp. I called many places trying to find exactly what we were looking for and it looks like going with a guide will be our best option. I'm hoping someone on here has some experience with the guide I booked.

About 1400-1500/pp. I called many places trying to find exactly what we were looking for and it looks like going with a guide will be our best option. I'm hoping someone on here has some experience with the guide I booked.

Here's a resource I used a couple of years ago - at Winner: Rick Kucera. He is the resident bird cleaner in Winner, has 1-2 houses he rents to hunters and also has farms that he sub-contracts for pheasant hunting.

Would assume he is aware of the guide you have hired - if not, he probably can do a bit of research for you. Can you ask your guide for references??

I googled homes for rent in Colome. There are three that were listed; would assume one of these is rented to hunters.

Enjoy your time is SD next fall! This area is prime country for pheasants!

I was in charge of planning a bucket list hunt for my hunting group of 6. We will be traveling from CA to hunt pheasants in SD. I was very surprised when I started looking into hunts/lodges. I was actually stunned on how many places plant birds. Who the hell would travel to SD to shoot a bird on a preserve???

Anyways. I booked a hunt. Wanted to see what you guys thought. Booked with Taylor Guide Service (Bill Ferguson) for a three day hunt for wild birds. We will be hunting around Winner, Colome, Burke, Gregory. We also booked a house for rent in Colome (owner is Rod Kasier). We were given the owner of the house's info by the guide, however the guide has never seen the house and there are no photos on the internet (Rolling the dice!). I was hoping someone on here has some experience with this guide/house, or any insight.

Thanks everyone.

Any update here?? Just curious...

Here's a resource I used a couple of years ago - at Winner: Rick Kucera. He is the resident bird cleaner in Winner, has 1-2 houses he rents to hunters and also has farms that he sub-contracts for pheasant hunting.

Would assume he is aware of the guide you have hired - if not, he probably can do a bit of research for you. Can you ask your guide for references??

I googled homes for rent in Colome. There are three that were listed; would assume one of these is rented to hunters.

Enjoy your time is SD next fall! This area is prime country for pheasants!

Do you have a contact number for Rick? I'd love to give him a call and pick his brain

Just got off the phone with Rick. What a great guy! We are going to be using him for bird cleaning and maybe lodging. As far as the guide I booked with, he said Bill Ferguson is a great guide. He had nothing but positive things to say about Bill and his operation. Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it.

Just got off the phone with Rick. What a great guy! We are going to be using him for bird cleaning and maybe lodging. As far as the guide I booked with, he said Bill Ferguson is a great guide. He had nothing but positive things to say about Bill and his operation. Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it.

Glad you could connect with Rick - he's quite a fellow and has lots of contacts in the area. If you can stay at one of his houses, all the better; the motels in the area are very expensive.

Enjoy your hunt!

Since you guys were so helpful with my other question, I thought I would throw out another...

What boots do you guys wear/recommend?

This will be a mid November hunt in the Winner area. I want to be prepared for anything. Cold, wet, feet, can turn a hunt into a nightmare quickly, so I know I will have to go water proof. I already have a pair of Danner Pronhorn boots that are waterproof but they aren't insulated. I want a boot that is water proof but will be comfortable enough for lots of walking as we will be hunting wild birds only. Specifically what brands, models, do you guys hunt with/use??

I've looked into those but they don't come insulated. The pronghorns come with insulated models so I've been thinking about getting a second pair but wanted to see other suggestions. Those pronhorns are the most comfortable hunting boots I've ever worn.

Since you guys were so helpful with my other question, I thought I would throw out another...

This will be a mid November hunt in the Winner area. I want to be prepared for anything. Cold, wet, feet, can turn a hunt into a nightmare quickly, so I know I will have to go water proof. I already have a pair of Danner Pronhorn boots that are waterproof but they aren't insulated. I want a boot that is water proof but will be comfortable enough for lots of walking as we will be hunting wild birds only. Specifically what brands, models, do you guys hunt with/use??

Boots are too much of a personal/individual thing to recommend a specific brand or model. What's fits one person might not fit the next. You first and foremost want a boot that is comfortable and one you can log some miles in without getting sore feet. Waterproof is good but bear in mind that Gore-Tex and similar membranes still let moisture through if you are walking for extended periods in wet grass or snow. Hunting the Winner area in November should not necessarily require an insulated boot. Wear a wicking liner sock with a wool (Merino wool) sock over it. That's a good combo in both warm and cold temps. Generally you don't need a boot with a heavy lug sole. Something with a little traction but one that won't collect a lot of mud. Good idea to bring two pairs and a boot dryer.

My personal favorite is the Irish Setter Upland Havoc.

I don't wear boots that are insulated until later in the winter, last couple years in SD in November the temps have ranged from mid 30's to 70. If I had insulated boots my feet would be soaked. Just my preference, as it gets colder and more snow I switch to insulated rubber boots that come close to my knees, but not very high insulation either. If you like the prongs go with them as your insulated pair too, I had 3 pairs of Danners that were made for Cabelas that are over 20 years old, I retired one pair in SD in 2015 and still use the other 2. I don't even remember the model name but they are great boots.

I don't wear boots that are insulated until later in the winter, last couple years in SD in November the temps have ranged from mid 30's to 70. If I had insulated boots my feet would be soaked. Just my preference, as it gets colder and more snow I switch to insulated rubber boots that come close to my knees, but not very high insulation either. If you like the prongs go with them as your insulated pair too, I had 3 pairs of Danners that were made for Cabelas that are over 20 years old, I retired one pair in SD in 2015 and still use the other 2. I don't even remember the model name but they are great boots.

I'll second the previous two responses - no need for insulated boots.

I bought a pair of I.Setter boots not the "Havoc." 400 gm insulation...not good. Feet sweat with wool sock and a wick liner. Too heavy a combo.

Gander Mt. suggested hiking sock and special wick lining sock that's relatively new. Will try that next.

I own the Danner Pronghorns and hunt South Dakota for the entire month of November. Last two years I recall snow on the ground last week of November. I've found the pronghorns to be more than sufficient in the snow with a thicker sock. I also take the precautionary measure of applying two coats of spray on water proofed the week before I head out to prevent wet feet.

The uninsulated Pronghorns will work great. I always hunt clear through the end of the season in Minnesota, along with a November and December SD trip each year. The pronghorns are my pheasant hunting boot, if it is getting cold out, then just wear a pair of insulated socks. It's always surprising how quickly you'll warm up while hunting in cold temps.

Don't take new boots on an out of state hunt. Don't want blisters. Take old ones.There is a good public place, near Gregory.

Boots

You will figure out what boots feel good. It's the same process of finding the right gun. The only thing I can tell you is bring your boot dryer and your sock liners. You WILL get wet and you will need to avoid blisters. I always bring three pair of boots along. Muck uplanders, Irish Setter Havocs, and a pair of hiking boots. Grab a few pair of merino wool socks, too. You screw up your feet and it will ruin your hunt.

Back