SD Opener

Boomer-IN

Any reports out there from the opening weekend?
Are the combines rolling in SD? We are headed that way on the 29th. Planning to be in the field on the 30th. Hopefully some harvesting will happen between now and then!
Be safe all!
God bless!:)

Not sure what area you will be hunting but up here in the Aberdeen area we are wet, wet, wet!! The beans are still not harvested although they are getting some out where they can get in the field. I haven't seen any corn in this area coming out. We have been very wet for over a month. Last week it rained Tuesday thru Friday. Saturday thru today were nice but we are suppose to get more rain the next 2-3 days. We're going to be hunting pheasants by boat pretty soon! :(

Other areas I'm sure are different but up here it's going to be a very late harvest.

Dakotazeb summed up the Aberdeen area pretty well. I hunted in Ipswich and it is the wettest I have ever seen. We managed to get birds, but as a gropu we never limited. The ducks in the area were incredible, I would say the ducks were 1000:1 for every pheasant.

Little crops out and even road hunting, the birds flew off the road since the ditches were full of water.

Still a great trip and I have no regrets coming.

This was my first experience hunting South Dakota and I really enjoyed it.I stayed and hunted in Woonsocket.Our group shot 54 birds saturday,44 birds sunday and 15 monday.The farm where we hunted had strips cut in the corn for us which made pushing the fields easier.The ditches were full of water and road hunting was a bust for me.After driving 1,100 miles to get there the last thing I really wanted to do was road hunt anyhow.
I talked to a few residents and asked about the road hunting and how they felt about it.Even though it's an accepted practice amongst hunters the landowners and residents don't like it.My personal feeling is it's not really hunting.We killed lots of birds actually hunting in the fields like it's supposed to be done.

Hunted near Roscoe, and shot our limit the first three days. Obviously, it's a lot more challenging this year with all the crops in the ground and more water than I can remember. Tree groves, small corn (if possible), the edge of sloughs and fence lines near cut wheat were the most productive. Also, bring a dog that can retrieve over water - you'll need it no matter where you hunt.

Despite the conditions, I still say there's nothing like opener in South Dakota. Great people. Great country. Great time.

Yes the hospitality shown by the people of Woonsocket was second to none.I really enjoyed my stay there and hope to make the season opener an annual event.

Hunted near Roscoe, and shot our limit the first three days. Obviously, it's a lot more challenging this year with all the crops in the ground and more water than I can remember. Tree groves, small corn (if possible), the edge of sloughs and fence lines near cut wheat were the most productive. Also, bring a dog that can retrieve over water - you'll need it no matter where you hunt.

Despite the conditions, I still say there's nothing like opener in South Dakota. Great people. Great country. Great time.

Awesome. You hit the SD opener to a T. Roscoe has a great corner/bar eatery that I stop at time to time on my way to Bowdle, SD.

Late season get's even more fun as it gets cold. I think I get more excited about dec hunting.

We hunt the woonsocket area and we have made some great friends there over the years! The group we hunt with struggled to get their limit ...but finally did so at 5:30 PM. They bounced around a lot to different spots. The crops in the field certainly makes the hunting challenging. Doesn't look like much will get done between now and when we make our trip...hunting the Woonsocket /Plankington area November 2-4!

Back