SD crop report 7/22

A little over three inches of rain has fallen in NE South Dakota over the past 4 days. Sunny weekend forecast then chance of rain early next week. Harvest has stopped for a little while. The good news is that the grass has greened up nicely and the sloughs are a little wet. SDViking

Week Ending 9/22/18

Field Crops Report: Corn condition rated 7 percent very poor, 11 poor, 19 fair, 42 good, and 21 excellent. Corn mature was 67 percent, well ahead of 29 last year and 43 for the five-year average. Harvested was 5 percent, near 1 last year and 3 average.

Soybean condition rated 7 percent very poor, 8 poor, 24 fair, 43 good, and 18 excellent. Soybeans dropping leaves was 83 percent, ahead of 71 last year and 74 average. Harvested was 12 percent, ahead of 3 last year and 6 average.

Next 10 days in NE SD we are expected to cool down and have a chance of moisture almost every day. Lows will start getting into the mid 30s, but still suppose to get into the 50-60 during the day. Season is a changing. I don't think a lot of harvest will take place over the next week do to the weather being damp. Was kind of hoping harvest would be a little a head of schedule so the hunters won't have to fight through 8 foot tall corn on opening weekend. Starting to see a little more pheasant activity around CRP and field edges. If you can find a good slough at sunset you should see the birds heading that direction. This should give you a better idea of pheasant numbers. Just not seeing as many along the roads as usual. SDViking

Laymans terms--probably no corn coming out before opener?

I don't think that the case. Maturity percent is ahead of the average and so is harvested but that is still a low number. Still weeks before the opener so unless it gets wet I will guess 55% will be harvested before the opener.

I don't think that the case. Maturity percent is ahead of the average and so is harvested but that is still a low number. Still weeks before the opener so unless it gets wet I will guess 55% will be harvested before the opener.

Half the corn in less then three weeks? That would be great. Are they almost done with beans then? There's still some green in the corn around my house and we continue to be in a rainy pattern.

Half the corn in less then three weeks? That would be great. Are they almost done with beans then? There's still some green in the corn around my house and we continue to be in a rainy pattern.

If it is dry enough to run I don’t think half in three weeks is out of the question. I am on the other side of hoping as would love to see them still have a a fair amount left when we get there in November. Time will tell.

South Dakota has a lot of soy beans this year and farmers are just getting a good run at them. If we can get a week of sunny weather the beans will get harvested quickly. Lots of beans are harvest ready farmers just delayed by the weather. Some corn is ready for harvest now, but farmers generally want to get the beans done first. Wet corn harvest has pretty much ended. We finished silage on Sunday on some late planted corn. We did see more birds than last year but we did release about 180 pheasants over the past 4 weeks, so no idea if these are wild or ones we released. SDViking

12% moisture level (corn) is about the limit for most guys........if it stays cool and wet that number will be hard to hit.

Well, a cold front came through South Dakota last night and things are changing now. We got down to 26 in NE South Dakota so leaves are now falling and the crops have stopped growing and will be drying down faster if we ever get the sun to come out. Raining today and the weather forecast is for 30s and 40s for the next week, plus cloudy most of that time. As soon as the sun comes back out the farmers will be hitting the fields 24 /7 to get the harvest done. Pheasant Season will be here very soon. Hope you and your dogs are in shape because the tall grass can be a challenge. SDViking

Talked to farmer we hunt with that runs custom combing operations in east central and they are 2 weeks ahead of schedule. Despite the light rains, the ground is dry enough that field access has not been a problem after a day of drying out. He predicts all beans out and maybe 25% of corn still in, if that by non-resident opener. Ground conditions are still very dry so natural cover near water is going to be the game again like last year. One difference this year is early summer was so dry, ditches didn't get mowed at all this year in most places so there should be more opportunity for walking them. With bird numbers up half or double what they were last year in most places, I'd say we are headed in the right direction for a good hunt this year. Cooler than last year too.

Talked to farmer we hunt with that runs custom combing operations in east central and they are 2 weeks ahead of schedule. Despite the light rains, the ground is dry enough that field access has not been a problem after a day of drying out. He predicts all beans out and maybe 25% of corn still in, if that by non-resident opener. Ground conditions are still very dry so natural cover near water is going to be the game again like last year. One difference this year is early summer was so dry, ditches didn't get mowed at all this year in most places so there should be more opportunity for walking them. With bird numbers up half or double what they were last year in most places, I'd say we are headed in the right direction for a good hunt this year. Cooler than last year too.

Crop Report Week Ending 10/7

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. October 9, 2018 - For the week ending October 7, 2018, there were
1.9 days suitable for fieldwork, according to the USDA's National Agricultural Statistics Service. Topsoil moisture supplies rated 6 percent very short, 13 short, 71 adequate, and 10 surplus. Subsoil moisture supplies rated 11 percent very short, 27 short, 57 adequate, and 5 surplus.
Field Crops Report: Corn condition rated 5 percent very poor, 12 poor, 19 fair, 44 good, and 20 excellent. Corn mature was 89 percent, well ahead of 69 last year, and ahead of 79 for the five-year average. Harvested was 16 percent, ahead of 6 last year, and near 13 average.

North East South Dakota has received just under 3 inches of rain this week and this morning we received our first snow. We are good and wet. It will take 3-4 days to day out due to the cool temperatures forecast, so it will be a little while before we get back to harvest... SDviking

North East South Dakota has received just under 3 inches of rain this week and this morning we received our first snow. We are good and wet. It will take 3-4 days to day out due to the cool temperatures forecast, so it will be a little while before we get back to harvest... SDviking

Looking at the 10 day outlook, there is no rain predicted for NC SD and most importantly 6 straight days of sunshine beginning next Monday. Farmers will really be pushing on the harvest next week.

there will be lots of casual water/mud in the fields and ditches......knee high rubber boots, probably a good idea to have them with..........sloughs will be up and very wet....birds will be on higher ground.

Have talked to a couple farmers in NC area and one thought today would get the wheels rolling and other thought tomorrow or Wednesday. Obviously dependent on how much rain they had gotten in different areas. Weather looks good next 7-10 days.

View attachment 8538

Well the sun was out yesterday with light winds and it warmed to the mid 40s in NE South Dakota. Farmers were moving equipment trying to find the right field to attempt harvest. Beans were still about 4% too wet and Corn at about 20%. Depending on which crop dries down fastest the harvest should be underway again in a day or two. When out and about fixing fence yesterday along a slough, I saw around 20 hens and just a few roosters. Was pretty happy to see that much activity. Oh and beware of the Deer they are everywhere. SDviking

View attachment 8538

Well the sun was out yesterday with light winds and it warmed to the mid 40s in NE South Dakota. Farmers were moving equipment trying to find the right field to attempt harvest. Beans were still about 4% too wet and Corn at about 20%. Depending on which crop dries down fastest the harvest should be underway again in a day or two. When out and about fixing fence yesterday along a slough, I saw around 20 hens and just a few roosters. Was pretty happy to see that much activity. Oh and beware of the Deer they are everywhere. SDviking

Week ending 10/21
Field Crops Report: Corn condition rated 6 percent very poor, 8 poor, 20 fair, 48 good, and 18 excellent. Corn mature was 97 percent, near 94 last year and 96 for the five-year average. Harvested was 25 percent, ahead of 18 last year, but behind 33 average.

Week ending 10/21
Field Crops Report: Corn condition rated 6 percent very poor, 8 poor, 20 fair, 48 good, and 18 excellent. Corn mature was 97 percent, near 94 last year and 96 for the five-year average. Harvested was 25 percent, ahead of 18 last year, but behind 33 average.

10/21 Beans
Soybean condition rated 7 percent very poor, 8 poor, 24 fair, 47 good, and 14 excellent. Soybeans harvested was 48 percent, well behind 76 last year and 84 average.

Back