Sd 2015

carptom1

Well returned late Sunday night from another SD adventure. Had to leave early Monday Am for work and just got home last night. Left about 4pm last thursday reaching our destination around 3am friday morning in the fog. The last 2 hrs was pretty brutal. I need to stop doing that I am getting too old.

Friday morning:

Great thing about SD is no hunting till 12pm in the first week. Over eating breakfast with the crew around 11am. Came up with a plan of attack. It had rained about an inch and was a heavy mist and about 40 degrees with a stiff north wind. Broke out the 16ga Browning double as it gives me comfort. Decided to hit a tree belt near the farmers house where we always find birds. They were in there. As I broke through into the middle, a young rooster decided to try and escape behind me. I swung around and dropped him through the trees. Buddy was on him quickly and at ten minutes after twelve I had my first in the bag. Many shots rang from the group, but only one other was harvested. We messed around with some cattails, but the rain made it tough. We decided to find some more trees. I took the dog through the center, as everyone else worked on the edge. 3/4 of the way through buddy got real birdy and flushed a pair of hens, good boy. Then another yearling shot out at 30 yards climbing fast. Another shot and another one down. That was it for me for the day. We hunted hard till 5 or so with only a few to show for it. The birds were crafty for sure. Steak dinner and baseball

Sat:

10 am start. 50 degrees, sunny and a perfect wind. Decided to walk a long 1/4 mile draw with sorghum plots along both sides. 3 of us took ends and walked at each other. Two flushes and two birds with two shots. Man I was on fire this trip. By the end 6 of us had 9 birds. We decided to use the same tactic on a draw on the other side. Buddy put 1 rooster up which quartered back behind, my worst shot. Dropped him hard. It was 11:30 and I was done. I drove and guided the rest of the day. We finished our 6 man limit at about 3:30. Fun day. Steak and no baseball cause the Royals won

Sun:

Decided we better head home. Driving we saw a ton of birds back around Kennebec. Decided to hunt some. Dog put up a couple roosters which I was able to get. Best shooting weekend I have had in years. Only a couple misses. Got home about 12 am tired as hell but well worth it.

Th crew was jonnyb, his friend kirk, my friend george whom i have had many an adventure with, PTM, and Britchaser. Pretty good crew.

Overall I was not impressed with the numbers. Bout the same as last year where I was at, maybe up a tick. But nothing like 3-4 yrs ago. Overall a great trip. I have never really had a bad one. A few pics

Last edited:
Nice report. Sounded like a quick but good hunt. I can't wait until Monday.. 5 days in heaven hunting SD roosters.:thumbsup:

Tom,

Interesting report with good detail - thanks. As usual, we enjoyed the hunt and look forward to a second gig in December, if it works for you.

Kirk, Patrick and I hunted Sunday and limited by 3 PM. Encountered the "mother lode" south of the hwy.; 20 - 30 birds, some flying over the truck landing in the ditch. I think December will be excellent!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the report Tom and welcome back home. Keep looking forward to those long tailed late season birds:thumbsup:

Nick

Great report Carptom. Go labs and go Royals.
Tom

Back