Saw first nest of the year

ford

Was out in some grass checking on how things are growing and stumbled upon a nest. It had 12- 15 eggs I'm guessing, didn't take the time to count them I instantly left the area.

What cover type was the nest in?

Nesting in progress

I found a nest today with 9 eggs in it, it was in heavy cover (last years weed and grass--lots of thistle and pig weed). The hen ran off so I followed on foot for a short distance then made a sharp left turn and vacated the area--she never flushed. About 80 yards away I flushed 1 rooster and 3 hens in some new green weeds that were about knee high--was riding my ATV at the time--that's 4 hens and a rooster in a small area out of 32 acres in this habitat project. :thumbsup:

I found a nest today with 9 eggs in it, it was in heavy cover (last years weed and grass--lots of thistle and pig weed). The hen ran off so I followed on foot for a short distance then made a sharp left turn and vacated the area--she never flushed. About 80 yards away I flushed 1 rooster and 3 hens in some new green weeds that were about knee high--was riding my ATV at the time--that's 4 hens and a rooster in a small area out of 32 acres in this habitat project. :thumbsup:

That's awesome Jim! It's clear that your hard work pays off. :thumbsup:

Here's hoping for a very successful rearing season! I'm trying to picture where you were in my minds eye.

Back