Savage 745

Thrasher

I have a couple of questions for those of you that are more gun savvy then I am. I have a Savage 745 that my dad gave me 30 years ago. I shot it a few times back then, but have not fired it since then. It functioned fine using low base 8's but would not extract high base 4's. It was made somewhere between 1941 and 1949. The receiver is made from an alloy.

I was wondering if it is safe to fire modern shot shells through this shotgun.

IMG_2839.jpg
[/IMG]

/
IMG_2840.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_2842.jpg
[/IMG]

Any thoughts on the coloring of the receiver? I am trying to figure out if it is original, but have not found any information on line.

Thanks for the help!!

Not Damascus barreled. It is stamped "proof tested" 2 3/4 in.

The Savage is modeled after the Browning A-5.

well, to be safe, take it to your local gun store and get their opinion. if they say its good buy some light load shells for it and try it.

is the receiver aluminum? brownings "double auto" had some anodized colored receivers( from the 50's).cant speak to the safety of the gun,probably oughta be checked by a gun smith.
a side note: the browning a-5 which that gun mimics has a washer or bushing incorporated in the recoil spring under the fore end that one moves depending on which shells you want to shoot.
that may not help,its usually the other way,hi brass functions , low brass doesnt.
fun to take an old gun for a walk, have fun if its safe

You can find shells that have the low brass. I believe the Kent Fastlead are low brass and you can get those in pheasant load. You might give those a try. I would certainly have a gunsmith look at it first

I had a alloy receiver Savage A5 copy years ago. I would check and see if it has all the friction rings on the magazine tube and if they are set for high or low base shells. If your looking for low powered loads to be on the safe side. Polywad makes vintage loads for older guns. To be safe, it's always nice to check with a local gunsmith on the condition of the gun.

www.polywad.com

I plan to take it in and have the local gunsmith take a look at it. It is missing a lock screw that holds the magazine tube.

If he gives me the ok I will take it out this weekend and put a few rounds through it. I stopped in today and he as a similar Browning A-5 in the rack. He was not there, just the girl behind the counter.

The gunsmith looked at the 745 this afternoon and said that it is in good shape and there is no reason that it should not handle lite to moderate loads. With the aluminum receiver I should stay away from hot loads. I am planning to take it out this weekend and see if I can put it to good use.

Back