Saturday Hunt a dumb idea

Zeepo

Was anybody dumb enough to hunt on Saturday. We were out west and it was 45 plus winds all day, it never died down. What a hard hunt I was beat by noon but we stuck it out and did get to kill a few birds but I dont know if I am going to hunt that kind of conditions again. My eyes were sand blasted.

zeepo

We hunted Saturday and call me crazy but I enjoy hunting in wind like that. The only down side is scenting conditions. But we were able to sneak up on the birds a lot easier then Sunday morning when they went back to there wild ways.

Was anybody dumb enough to hunt on Saturday. We were out west and it was 45 plus winds all day, it never died down. What a hard hunt I was beat by noon but we stuck it out and did get to kill a few birds but I dont know if I am going to hunt that kind of conditions again. My eyes were sand blasted.

zeepo

I had actually scheduled a hunt for Saturday....I only had one day to choose from and Sunday looked like it should be a better day. I don't care for hunting in high winds. As another poster mentioned, it does help get closer to the birds, but IMO it is a real drag and I'd rather wait for another day.

I hunted and it was unreal...the wind was crazy...couldn't imagine what it would have been like if there was snow and such...

Greg

I forgot to mention that we camped Friday night. We decided to hunt Saturday because the low Friday night was only 38 vs 10 on Saturday night. Next time I will take the 10 degrees. The amount of dirt and blowing tumble weeds etc. was crazy. Sometimes you had no choice but to walk backwards in thto the wind to keep your eyes clean. I had face masks etc. and nothing worked.

Zeepo

I forgot to mention that we camped Friday night. We decided to hunt Saturday because the low Friday night was only 38 vs 10 on Saturday night. Next time I will take the 10 degrees. The amount of dirt and blowing tumble weeds etc. was crazy. Sometimes you had no choice but to walk backwards in thto the wind to keep your eyes clean. I had face masks etc. and nothing worked.

Zeepo

Now that is bad. I guess I've never hunted in winds that high while the ground was so dry. I've been sandblasted out there before, but not all day while trying to hunt. Hope the conditions are better for your next trip.

we opted out for a saturday hunt to hunt sunday but we should have hunted saturday even with the wind howling at least we would of had a reason for not getting anything

You guys needed dirtbike/atv goggles. Haha. That's sad hunting conditions for sure. Sometimes we camp and hunt too since we are always broke around christmas. Tent Camped a few times in the teens, it sure sux getting out of bed and takin up camp when its that cold.

You guys needed dirtbike/atv goggles. Haha. That's sad hunting conditions for sure. Sometimes we camp and hunt too since we are always broke around christmas. Tent Camped a few times in the teens, it sure sux getting out of bed and takin up camp when its that cold.

That is some serious dedication buddy:cheers:

That is some serious dedication buddy:cheers:

I know what he's talking about... I went on a 4 day hunt to the Dodge City area last month, and we tent camped for 3 nights. Lows were in the low 20's at night. I definitely wasn't equipped for that. Good memories though.

COckerfan
Do you mind sharing your camping location? I'm planning a trip in that area and will be roughing it. Any info would be appreciated
Thanks

zeepo

That's why I played hooky Thurs. afternoon, went to NW, and had a great hunt on Friday.

Me and a buddy went out Sunday and killed a few. It was cold as balls and early morning was almost to windy for me but it seemed as the day went on it settled down. I hate hunting in high winds. Not only for scenting conditions for the dogs but just overall comfort. I enjoy hunting. I don't have to do it.

I WENT, I WENT!!!:10sign:

It was great! Just got home last night. Hunted Friday-Sunday and Saturday was the most successful of the three days. Friday got too hot, 60 degrees by noon. Saturday's wind was howling! The conditions were probably the best on Sunday, but we were hunting the same spots we had hit on Saturday so we were less effective at getting birds up in range.

My PERFECT SHOOTING STREAK ended on Saturday.:( I had been a perfect 100% at 1-shot kills for two years on my annual trip to SW Kansas. It was all going well on Friday, and Saturday morning, but then... My uncle kicked up a rooster from the up-wind side of a pivot corner and he flew all the way to me at the opposite end. He was going full-speed with a 35-40mph tail wind... I led him about 8 feet, but I guess that wasn't enough lead... I'm a fairly mediocre shot, so this streak was my claim to fame.:eek:

Started a new streak on Sunday.:thumbsup: I was a perfect, 1-for-1.;) Guess we'll see how long this new streak lasts.:thumbsup: Prolly just until my next hunting trip...

Toad, those roosters are tough to catch up to when they get up in the wind like that. Sorry to hear your streak ended, but two years is pretty impressive.

Back