Ruffed Grouse

rubberduck

Anyone heading out this weekend looking for Grouse? I'm gonna walk a few trails in the Duluth area. I saw the drum counts were down but got try I quess. This is mostly a way to get my dogs back in shape, but is good fun when you get into them. Good Luck Everyone!

I'll be out. I can't wait..I have plans to explore a new area. I'm sure it will produce. Good Luck

By the way. I have seen more grouse by far then last year and I'm not too far from where you will be hunting

RubberDuck,

I will be getting out in the next couple of weeks I hope. I am in the Duluth area as well. Would love to hear how you do.

I am going to try out grouse hunting on Saturday near Mille Lacs. I have never hunted grouse. Anybody have any pointers?

I like to wait till end of Oct. to hunt grouse. There easier to see with out the leaves. But if i lived in the area hell yes I would hunt it. Good luck post some pictures.

I'll be out just North of Brainerd. I generally hear 'em but don't see 'em this time of year, but it beats sitting at home

When the beeper collars are singing and you hear a flush, walk to the dogs and look up in the trees. Look hard, look high, they are there. The young birds haven't been shot at yet, so when they see your dog they usually just jump up into a tree for safety. Pot em' on the roads, pot em' in the tree's, these are a tough bird to get so take em' any way you can.

I'll let you know how I did.

I was happy. I shot the only 2 birds that crossed the trail, all my other shots were through the thick stuff just hoping a bb would make it through.
My dog is pretty sore though. Old tender foot is her new nickname. We walked continuously from 7:00 to 6:30. I'm pretty sore too.

we went out near akeley. we hunted 11:00 to 2:00 on Saturday and flushed 17 birds. only shot 3. tough little buggers.

Hunted the Bagley area this past weekend. Bird numbers were fair and like always, the trees and leaves got the best of us. 1 bird in the bag. :cheers:

I was up near virginia opener to do some work on the hunting shack and managed to get 4 in the freezer. we had some clover planted on the trails and they were all over that. quite a few more in the woods though to.

I'm planning to be in No MN next week. Any advice on where to go for an out of stater fairly new to grouse hunting? Can go to Duluth area north or west. Appreciate any help you'all can give. I will be hunting with a Brittany. Have 4-5 days to spend.
Thanks,

Go to the DNR web site and look at the where to hunt section. They made a deal with all the paper / lumber companies to have open hunting this year. also have walking trails, national forest and WMA info to. I have heard good things from other people in the past about the north central part of the state. From lake Milacs to hibbing. lots of woods out there to run around in. Pick a spot and have fun, if the wind blows the leaves should falling like rain.

Thanks - I have been reviewing some of those, there is a lot of territory to pick from. Just have to go & start hitting a few areas I suppose.
Trip may be delayed as family health issue has just occurred. Leaves were thick in WI three weeks ago & I was waiting to let the foliage to thin some.

Back