Rooster Road Trip

GSPforever

Good morning everyone,

I will be heading out to South Dakota with my wife and German Shorthair for my first ever wild pheasant hunt. We will be traveling to SD from Massachusetts on the week of November 6. On the 6th and the 7th, i will be on the Britton area, on the 8th and the 9th, we will be in the Mitchell area, and the 10th and the 11th i will be in the Pierre area. This will ne my first time out there and was wondering if anybody to point me in the right direction as far as a certain CREP or other public parcel i should be focusing on in these areas. Better yet i would love to meet up with another member of this site in the field for a hunt with my wife, GSP, and I. Any help would be much appreciated, and Thank you in advance for all your help.

Check out the WPA at the intersection of 233 St and 390 Ave. NW of Mitchell. Good evening spot. Don't forget your steel shot! Good luck,

Last edited:
I hunt in the Pierre area and it gets hit pretty hard first couple weeks. The further from town you are the better. Knock on doors and you can typically find very good hunting for about $100 to $150 day per gun. Good luck!

Good morning everyone,

I will be heading out to South Dakota with my wife and German Shorthair for my first ever wild pheasant hunt. We will be traveling to SD from Massachusetts on the week of November 6. On the 6th and the 7th, i will be on the Britton area, on the 8th and the 9th, we will be in the Mitchell area, and the 10th and the 11th i will be in the Pierre area. This will ne my first time out there and was wondering if anybody to point me in the right direction as far as a certain CREP or other public parcel i should be focusing on in these areas. Better yet i would love to meet up with another member of this site in the field for a hunt with my wife, GSP, and I. Any help would be much appreciated, and Thank you in advance for all your help.

Be careful...it's been my experience, wild pheasant in SD changes a man, gets in his blood, he'll do crazy things and spend crazy money chasing a bird. :D

Good advice on the boards from previous posts as well if you do some digging. I recommend staying off the major roads and away from sizeable towns and look for the nasty stuff. Some of the smaller pockets that get skipped by big groups can be a great opportunity. Knocking on doors has also worked great for us.

Good luck and enjoy!

Back