Road trip with two elderly gents

Deacon

Will be heading out in a couple weeks for two days road hunting with a couple elderly gents. Alias Elmer and Doc, these guys can post at best so plan is to road hunt 90% of the time. More telling stories and giving each other a ribbing than hunting.

Any suggestions on general areas to head would be appreciated. Most imporatant thing for me is a great steak house with cold beer at the end of the day. Stay thristy my friend.

Thanks in advance for suggestions. PM works for me.

Dave

commerce street steakhouse in plankinton sd is tough to beat, descent road hunting in the area also.

There is a great steak house/restaurant in Orient S.D., not far from Faulkton. I hunted in the Faulkton area this year on private ground and there were lots of birds. Saw several people road hunting but don't know how well they did.

I agree with the Steak House in Orient SD. Did not go up there this year as we went to North Dakota. So I cannot say anything about the hunting this year.

I find it difficult to explain to my spouse but part of the hunting experience is the small towns and the people you interact with that make the day. You may have a morning with no birds but at lunch you have a mom/pop place that is proud of what they do and serve every day and that in a of itself puts a prespective on life and you feel comfortable and at home in a distant land. Its not only the birds, dogs and land we walk it is the towns and the people we meet and interact with. They say it is the heartland and I think what "they" mean is it is not the "Heart" of the Country but it is the heart of people. So the small town of Orient fit this discription, a place you would not stop at unless you are hunting in the area. Yes the Ribs on Friday Night are worth the trip.

I'll second that on the ribs and the steak house in Orient! My first time there last month, my buddy I was with suggested it as we were close.
The place was packed and the food great for a very small town. Was told a couple of Packer football VP's were in a few days earlier.:cheers:

Oddly enough Orient was were we when on first trip. Prime rib and rids are the best.

Thanks for all for feedback. Our trip is not about hunting but as stated by someone else all the 'good people' of SD. The two old gents are posters or road hunters only. Not looking forward to those days but if can provide these guys the opportunity to bag a bird or two trip is good, definitely not looking to bag a limit.

Thanks
Dave

Should you stray north just a little. Check out the good people and great food in the town of Fullerton, North Dakota, at the Ranch House. And yes, the ribs are the best ever in my humble opinion.

I find it difficult to explain to my spouse but part of the hunting experience is the small towns and the people you interact with that make the day. You may have a morning with no birds but at lunch you have a mom/pop place that is proud of what they do and serve every day and that in a of itself puts a prespective on life and you feel comfortable and at home in a distant land. Its not only the birds, dogs and land we walk it is the towns and the people we meet and interact with. They say it is the heartland and I think what "they" mean is it is not the "Heart" of the Country but it is the heart of people. So the small town of Orient fit this discription, a place you would not stop at unless you are hunting in the area. Yes the Ribs on Friday Night are worth the trip.

I feel exactly the same way, well said :cheers:

Nellie, if you read this, is there still a place in Plankinton called the Pheasant Inn or something similiar owned by a former LE Officer who is a big hunter? We used to go there pheasant hunting and ate there every night about 10 years ago, thx.

Going to head out right after x-mas for two days. Hope the roads are in good condition and weather is warm....

Late season road hunt with plan to walk a place or two. Will look forward to a hot shower followed by a good steak and beer to end the day.

Hi Tom,

In some circles we are referred to as "geezers"...aka "old guys." Just bring them along on the hunt and let them post.

However, we are very adept at the road hunt...

Back