Remington 700

oldandnew

Well it's a bad day Remington. Accepting a recall of ALL the model 700 bolt action rifles, and a cash settlement. Left a trigger which was unsafe since like 1948, because the alternate design, invented by the same designer, was rejected because the trigger block cost .055 cents per gun! After fighting lawsuits since then, millions of dollars, ( I am sure recommended by their attorneys), injuries, death. Like the Ford gas tanks, another shameful chapter in a once proud company. I don't believe they'll get me back as a consumer.

Bummer!!! I have owned several 700's over the years and always thought they great guns, never had any issues with them--I'm kind of thru the gun buying phase so I guess it won't be a problem--still so sad.:(

Is this a new recall? All I see is the one from April on guns made after May 2006 with one type of trigger?

This issue has been around for a while now. The new trigger is the x mark pro. I think this trigger came out in around 2009 or a little earlier. The nice thing about this feature is it is adjustable. This issue is a long sad story of corporate malfeasance

The trigger issue is old news. The original recall only covered guns made after May 2006. But the original post said they were now recalling ALL 700's and offering a cash settlement. Still can't find that one anywhere.

Case was settled in Kansas City....reported in St. Louis July 8, 2014. I will attempt a link, but it's iffy here! I can't post it, just look under "Remington Settles Model 700, ( and 7) claims. They are claiming all rifles have weakness, had a live interview with the designer who claimed on paper memo that the triggers were a weakness and suggested an alternate, This on CNBC at Noon!

Last edited:
Is this a new recall? All I see is the one from April on guns made after May 2006 with one type of trigger?

This is all i found as well and after running the serial #'s my 3 700's are not on the list. I may just throw in a new trigger group just to be safe. I had my Weatherby worked on and the trigger failed. Did not take it back to that jag. But no one else wanted to touch it for liability reasons. I just bought a Timney and put it in myself and it works like a champ now and adjustable.

7-T512_zps6cfa2259.jpg

Click here to view a larger image
Timney Trigger Remington 700 with Safety 1.5-4 lb Adjustable Trigger Nickel

3 Customer Reviews
Our Low Price:
$119.19

Ships from warehouse:

What is this?

Typically ships the same business day when ordered before 12pm CST

Brand:*Timney*512
Item:*7-T512
UPC:*081950005123

The 512 comes with a safety that blocks the trigger, not the sear, which is a totally new design. No screws, drilling, or tapping required. The Model 512 will bring a whole new realm of accuracy to your Remington rifle. Each trigger is geometrically identical with tolerances less than .0005”. adjustable from 1.5 to 4 lbs.

Last edited:
Any gun that requires the safety to be off to operate the bolt is not good IMO. My first year 700 is like that and my Weatherby Mark V's. If one has a drop down floor plate to dump out the shell's it's better but still a issue for safety to me. I know the newer 700's had addressed this issue.

Anymore, people want every product to be 100% safe, no matter how dumb the operator. Impossible. Yet lawyers continue to bombard company's with law suits. It's really not about safety, it's about money. See if that gun goes off and kill or injures someone. All it takes is a bunch of free money and everything is all better. Bob may be dead but his wife is living it up with her new man with all the money she sued XXXX company for. Old Bob gets a dried out bunch of flowers a couple of times a year on his grave, she's driving a new $60,000 pickup and vacationing in Hawaii.

Any gun that requires the safety to be off to operate the bolt is not good IMO. My first year 700 is like that and my Weatherby Mark V's. If one has a drop down floor plate to dump out the shell's it's better but still a issue for safety to me. I know the newer 700's had addressed this issue.

Anymore, people want every product to be 100% safe, no matter how dumb the operator. Impossible. Yet lawyers continue to bombard company's with law suits. It's really not about safety, it's about money. See if that gun goes off and kill or injures someone. All it takes is a bunch of free money and everything is all better. Bob may be dead but his wife is living it up with her new man with all the money she sued XXXX company for. Old Bob gets a dried out bunch of flowers a couple of times a year on his grave, she's driving a new $60,000 pickup and vacationing in Hawaii.
That's why your not supposed to point you gun at anybody you don't want to shoot! Seriously there are bad or at least poor ideas of manufacture. I used Mauser bolt guns forever, took the advice of Jack O'Connor, because the bolt slice and controlled round feeding. The encased head design saved you from ruptured cases, controlled round shot should be self explain, to any one who is looking at a trophy animal or in combat. Bad design might be explained as the Model 1911 Winchester autoloader, where you push the barrel down to eject and reload without firing! Those nice grips at the muzzle work great with the gun on you shoes pointed at your face! Now known as the widow maker! I do agree that a larger part of the population seems to have gotten dumber, as the years go by, seems to think that they can disregard their own personal safety, everything is government or judicial pre-ordained to be safe, cars, carnival rides, cruise ships, driving around like tourists in bad neighborhoods....or Mexican Border towns! Somebody famously quoted years ago, that survival belongs to the fittest! I don't point my 700's at anything but a target, and I know how to unload it safely. I don't own a 1911 Winchester, apologies to the pruned out dudes who did. If you have pride of workmanship, I would hope Remington would, they did when DuPont owned them, would have been more thorough.

Last edited:
Back