Reccommendation on a place to stay between Gettysburg and Selby areas

TheWanderer

Having a tough time finding online reviews and photos of all the places I can google and get names of.

Any personal opinions and experiences that were good and where?

Thanks

There isn't much in the way of lodging on that stretch of 83. I have been making an annual treck to the Gettysburg area for several years and have had better luck hunting south and east of there than I had going further north up by Akaska.

There are a couple of places in Gettysburg to stay. Either is OK. The Sage Inn will freeze your birds for you.

another option for you, depending on how "rough" you like is the State Park. We rent the cabins and have a great time camping out, etc. The cabins have power, bunks, and lights. What more could you ask for on a mnaly pez trip!
See the West Whitlock State Park on the SDGFP website.Good location and cheap. Bigget problem up that way is that you "isolated" you have to bring everything in with you as its about 1.5 hrs to Pierre for supplies. There is much choice if you don't want to cook either. the only place I know of is the greasy spoon in Akaska.
Last year we stayed at Farm Island in Pierre, but that was (or is?) underwater this year. That was also a great location. Centrally located bewteen the grasslands and the larger tract of WIA up north.

cabins

Do they allow dogs in those state park cabins,I've heard different stories on them.I would love to stay at those cabins if they allowed dogs,but wouldn't like keeping the dogs out in the truck.

Technically, dogs are not permitted. But, we brought our dogs in. Only one group got caught. They sent a letter and asked for $50.00 to "clean" the cabin. I figured out the only way they could have figured out we had the doig inside was the few hairs that were left on the indoor/outdoor removeable rug. So this year, their rug gets rolled up and stored under the bunk and we'll put our own runner down. we swept out the cabin and the dogs didn't do any damage or have any accidents. if you crated your dog, they would never know.
Bottom line, the dog will back in with us and we deal it however we need to. We were never around during the day and never saw the park personal. Hopefully they don't frequent this forum! :p:eek:

PS, i forgot to mention yesterday, they aslo have heat!! The Shower building may not be open as it gets later in the season. There is always a pit toilet.

Carpfisher (can't use real name, "they" may be watching!!):cheers:

Technically, dogs are not permitted. But, we brought our dogs in. Only one group got caught. They sent a letter and asked for $50.00 to "clean" the cabin. I figured out the only way they could have figured out we had the doig inside was the few hairs that were left on the indoor/outdoor removeable rug. So this year, their rug gets rolled up and stored under the bunk and we'll put our own runner down. we swept out the cabin and the dogs didn't do any damage or have any accidents. if you crated your dog, they would never know.
Bottom line, the dog will back in with us and we deal it however we need to. We were never around during the day and never saw the park personal. Hopefully they don't frequent this forum! :p:eek:

PS, i forgot to mention yesterday, they aslo have heat!! The Shower building may not be open as it gets later in the season. There is always a pit toilet.

Carpfisher (can't use real name, "they" may be watching!!):cheers:

You sure have rationalized that one. Maybe you could leave $50 to clean the cabin.

Gettysburg Inn and Suites also has a bird cleaning station, bird freezers, dog friendly, clean and nice managment.

Back