Rates of guides

My group hunts west river, every year, on a farming family’s properties. They have a really nice, fully furnished farm house we stay in. Everything is there for us to use except our food, drink, and hunting gear. We bring our own dogs and portable kennels and crates and they stay in an insulated barn that’s behind the house. We clean and package our own birds.

The farmer takes his own pickup and goes with us every day. He takes us to their various places, gives advice on how to hunt the place we’re at, and then drives to where we’ll end up. He will get out and block for us when we get within 100-200 yards of him. He’ll be carrying a shotgun while blocking and usually takes a bird or two each day, which he’ll take home. We then all load up ourselves and the dogs in his pickup and he hauls us back to our rigs.

We each pay $350/day to hunt, which includes everything previously described. When our week of hunting concludes, we settle up with him and each of us gives a generous tip. I bring a couple of cases of good beer and a mesquite smoked brisket I’ve cooked as gifts for our farming family hosts.

I look at it like this, my wife grew up on a dry land cotton farm in west Texas. Farming is hard work and not very profitable. The family we hunt on supplements their income by doing pheasant hunts, and I’m happy to pay for that privilege.

I’ve got 7 good pointing dogs, and I don’t mind paying for good hunting and lots of wild bird exposure for my dogs. I don’t play golf, I don’t gamble, and don’t drink much. My annual trip to South Dakota is my big extravagance of the year, and I look forward to it all year. I plan on doing it until I physically can’t do it anymore, and am happy to pay for it.

When I quail hunt with friends and family around home, I’m in charge of everything, and I want everyone to have a good time and get some chances at taking some birds. It’s nice to go on one trip per year where somebody else has to worry about things and I can just hunt.
My dog stays in the house.I don't believe in kennels.

It isn't about that. I'm not putting my dog in a cage.
Most dogs don’t look at it as a cage, some dogs look at it as a safe place. My dogs are rarely put in a crate but will all sometimes go lay in the crate I use for training in the garage. Also most people use a “cage” for transportation as it is safer for the dog than loose in a vehicle.
And lastly it’s nice to have your dog free at your own home, I do the same. My dogs sleep in my bed at night most of the time. But if I’m a guest in someone else’s home or a hotel they don’t always get that luxury afforded to them.

Most dogs don’t look at it as a cage, some dogs look at it as a safe place. My dogs are rarely put in a crate but will all sometimes go lay in the crate I use for training in the garage. Also most people use a “cage” for transportation as it is safer for the dog than loose in a vehicle.
And lastly it’s nice to have your dog free at your own home, I do the same. My dogs sleep in my bed at night most of the time. But if I’m a guest in someone else’s home or a hotel they don’t always get that luxury afforded to them.
I'm not going to conform to somebody's house rule.This birddog bunkhouse guy doesn't alow dogs in his house.Thumbs down on that guy.He should feel privileged to have dogs in his house.

As I am reading this, not 2 minutes ago my lab jumped off my bed where i was scratching his ears and walked over to lay down in his kennel for a nap. Sometimes he comes back up in bed, but he likes it better in his kennel. Door is always open, he learned how to close himself in though.

Attachments

• 20231003_215645.jpg
    9.1 MB · Views: 11
Back