Raise out of state fees!!

Maybe you're just not finding them. Sometimes its hard to leave an area because you've found birds in it before. But if they aren't there, they aren't there. I've talked to guys that hunt the same land year after year and make an assessment based on that parcel. I know legs and boot leather get the birds but sometimes driving more makes you walk less. And sometimes you just get unlucky. You said SD was tough too. May just be one of those years for ya. And as far as the trash goes, I cant stand it. I pick it up too. I'm not sure on the blame game there. If its beer cans, my thoughts are its more than likely kids. I found this yesterday in a creek bed on a conservation place I was hunting. Has to be the either the farmer, farm hands, or the land managers. In this particular case, there were no crops in the area, so its gotta be whoever sprays it.
View attachment 8847

How close to a road ? That’s a glyphosate herbicide, non-selective. When empty those are pretty easy to blow out of the back of a pickup, I’ve had to go back and get many over the years.

You raise some good points FCSpringer - our issue in KS is we've simply lost a ton of bird habitat and birds are not as widespread as they once were. State focuses on deer which I've harped on for a long time is and has been a serious mistake. Lots of small towns that used to have motels, gas stations, restaurants, etc have died - some of that due to economic reasons, some I would say is partially due to no hunters (or at least the volume of hunters) - There's a few places I used to go not so long ago that had decent bird populations and plenty of access and they'd have hunter breakfasts etc - Many of those are gone or from what I've heard poorly attended.

As I get my business more successful and buy more of my time I will be a thorn in someones side until some things start to change. I live in the Capital now and can be a pain in the axx when I need to be. Dont know if it will ever work but hey it's worth a shot. Our state has lots of issues so I understand the OP's concerns - we dont have as much access or as much of the upland resource as we used to so it's disheartening when you feel like others pillaged it. Probably just his perspective. Anyways things will not change unless folks start looking at the big picture here --

-- De-emphasize big game/deer hunting
-- ACTUALLY manage our deer herd instead of treating them like dove with virtually unlimited tags and statewide units
-- With deer management actually taking place and restricting times (adding more seasons and limiting who can hunt in what season) it SHOULD theoretically eliminate some of the leasing for deer and cutting off lots of access for upland hunters
-- Work with the ag industry to get incentives passed and educate farmers on incentives they'd have to put in and manage buffers wetlands etc - likely marginal ground anyways they are not truly making much if any money on and could make more with habitat programs and increase their efficiency buy more of their time back
-- Educate farmers on the benefits of having hunters in their communities through increased sales tax revenue, increased local business, possible day hunt fees if they want to go that way etc - it will benefit their communities - and with birds you can simply run WAY more hunters through than big game
-- Whats good for birds is great for deer and lots of other species - birds simply require a more specific habitat recipe/farming practices
-- Govt side - Firstly before any of this can happen we need a governor that can fix our states revenue situation and proceed with economic developement - KS has simply been stagnant for years even during the boom times while the rest of the nation has grown. We haven't had a governor worth a crap in decades - We need one that will pass medical marijuana and recreation marijuana and put the tax dollars to work that we are already losing to colorado, blackmarket and soon to be OK, MO, NE (I think they passed it) and Arkansas.

-- **** Promote Troy (PrairieDrifter) to run the KDWPT :) or at least the head biologist

Anyways - sounds like a 20 year plan eh?

I remember going to Norton with my dad when I was a kid. One of the churches hosted a Hunter's Breakfast opening weekend. I don't think it's a stretch to say there were well over 100 guys there both mornings. I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen much today.

I hear ya. There was a time in my life I thought the same things as a local hunter or fisherman too LOL. I was in fact in my own way just being greedy. Used to heckle people, Iowa fisherman LOL. I was young and stupid. I now have a far better understanding on how vital it is having people out there. Buying a lic. Spending money in the economy. Helping wildlife thrive. Without those people, like em or not. Your general funds dwindle. That revenue needed to do those habitat projects. Hunters for hunters so to speak. Now there is still stupid people, always will be. They just need their chance to grow up. Some learn the easy way. Some learn the hard way and have to go buy guns back at DNR auctions LOL. I have never hunted KS. Been there, just drove on through. ND a fair amount before the law change. And plenty in IA since I grew up there and our family farm is still there. We have what I consider plenty good hunting here in MN with 100's of thousands of public acres to hunt, so I pretty much hang my hat here now. If we keep the death of a thousand cuts going against access, and against hunting. It will eventually die. Once you loose interest, and no longer gain youth, and new people. It's over eventually. Those people all grow up to be the ones that care less at ballot boxes about guns and hunting rights. Like said above, there is a far far bigger picture than some CA guy shooting some birds in my state :). Sorry QH I had to :) Nice photo

Don't worry Ken, we were in MN shooting birds (grouse) last year.:cheers:

quail hound it's a good thing I didn't catch you while you were here,,,shootin limits of pheasants,,,I would have slashed your tires.

quail hound it's a good thing I didn't catch you while you were here,,,shootin limits of pheasants,,,I would have slashed your tires.

:D I know out of staters out there pillaging the resource, one guy with one dog can do a lot of damage. I actually came to shoot a chicken over Lady. We got blown out the first day by that blizzard but on the second day she handled a pair beautifully that I whiffed on with both barrels.:mad:. The only ones she got pointed the whole trip. I guess I'll have to come back next season now to complete the goal.:cheers:

How close to a road ? That’s a glyphosate herbicide, non-selective. When empty those are pretty easy to blow out of the back of a pickup, I’ve had to go back and get many over the years.

Not anywhere close to a road. Could have fallen off of a pickup or back of a sprayer. Wind could have possibly blown it into the creek bed through the brush but I seriously doubt it.

Farmers throw trash around on their land sometimes it’s theirs after all

Getting back to the thread title I would gladly pay double the current license fees if the money went for good habitat available through the WIHA program which has went downhill IMO

Quality wise

I just spent 3 full days and 2 half days hunting in NC Kansas. I thought about this thread while hunting. I think (tongue firmly in cheek) I have come up with a solution that would satisfy the resident hunters that are concerned about non-residents killing too many birds and want to raise non-resident fees. Why not charge every hunter resident and non-resident by the bird. Maybe charge the non-residents 2 to 3 times the the rate per bird that residents pay. For instance you could charge residents $5/quail and $10/pheasant, non-residents would pay $10 or $15 per quail and $ 20 or $30/pheasant. Charge whatever the residents think the market will bear. Those that "slaughtered" the most birds would pay the most.

My son and I just spent 7 nights in Kansas, bought food, and fuel every day and we also payed nearly $100 each for non-resident hunting licenses. We paid tolls on the highway, we paid for parking permits. I don't begrudge a penny we spent. I wish he could have taken more time off so we could have stayed longer. I will be making another trip around New Years bringing at least 1 grandson.

My son and I hunted WIHA only and started hunting each day at legal shooting hours and hunted until last legal light. We only stopped hunting long enough to drive from one area to the next, eating lunch in transit. The weather was perfect. Cold and sunny with little wind. We saw lots of pheasants most were very wild (likely because of the light wind). We were disappointed in the number of quail we saw. We only saw 4 coveys. We brought 7 quail and 1 pheasant to bag. One or two pheasants were lost to inexperienced dogs. If we had paid by the bird it would have been cheaper on us. One of the reason for the trip was to get my 14 month old GSP some wild quail contacts. We also had an elderly English Setter and 2 somewhat experienced Springers along. We took turns with the pointing dogs and the flushers. If the cover was high and thick the flushers got the nod, and the pointers hunted the thinner cover. We had a great time.

We also saw 4 resident hunters that obviously payed no attention to seasons or bag limits. Two were bobcats , one coyote, and one red fox. Those and many suspected non-resident hawks and owls were seen. They may have more of an effect on bird numbers than legal hunting.

I am an out of state bird hunter. I am headed back to Kansas this weekend for my second trip of the year. I will admit that opening weekend our six man party was one bird shy of the KS limit. I promise not to
shoot all the birds! LOL. I have enjoyed reading this post.

Looks like you were following too close. Not sure what the story is here....

Well, I'm an out of stater that got stuck on some thawing roads a week and a half ago. If you look close you can see the tow strap. My post was meant to poke fun at myself and make light of this thread. This was my first time in Kansas and I really enjoyed it. I felt it was well worth the NR license cost.

Well, I'm an out of stater that got stuck on some thawing roads a week and a half ago. If you look close you can see the tow strap. My post was meant to poke fun at myself and make light of this thread. This was my first time in Kansas and I really enjoyed it. I felt it was well worth the NR license cost.

Got it. Thanks for clearing that up. :cheers: to you for not taking yourself too seriously. I'm glad you enjoyed your time in Kansas.

Back