Ragweed

gforcetrivers

Hey guys,
Last year we bought 12 acres to use as food plot/honey production...it has been in hay for 40 years at least and not good hay either. I had a guy plow, disk and drag it then I sowed Crimson and White Clover. Planted a few hundred Black Locust trees. The clover all sprouted and was doing ok BUT soon after Ragweed popped up EVERYWHERE!!! Weird thing is that I don't see any Ragweed anywhere else on the property or nearby. I guess Ragweed seed can stay dormant for forty years and as deep as 5ft.

What should I do? I know I should have sprayed but didnt want to use chemicals and if it weren't for the Ragweed life would be great.

heard that

and if I had a lot more acres I wouldn't mind but I only have 5 acres or so for this project ( I have 12 acres total some woods split in 2 pieces). The farm next to me had quail until they rented to a guy with longhorns and they mowed their 40 acres. The quail that were there are now gone. I don't think I have enough land to hold many birds. As of now I am planning on spraying the crap out of it this weekend and then think about starting over before it goes to seed.

Honey bees???

Is that for real? Maybe I should keep it. I decided not to spray it and My tractor guy hasn't mowed it yet. It does look like the deer have browsed it. I really cant decide. I am new at this whole acreage thing.

Farmers hate ragweed, except me. I love it and leave it for the quail.

Back