Quick vote

Would you rather go public land in NW Iowa or South Dakota for early season?

• NW Iowa

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • South Dakota

Votes: 38 90.5%

• Total voters
If there was an "anywhere I can hunt private land" option, that would probably be it. But the season is long, and I can deal with the bustle of the opening weekend if I want to hunt.

Looking around at the disappearing habitat locally to me, it will not be long until most hunting in IOWA will be on our few pockets of public ground.

Busier than SD public opening weekend? Lol

Theres about 100x the public hunting land in SD than NW IA. Theres almost 15x public land acres in SD than all of Iowa. (5 million in SD and 400K in Iowa). NW IA corner has about 50k acres, SD has 5 million. I think youll have less pressure in SD personally.

Write in vote for my local preserve. No competition. Can be there in an hour. No aching legs. If I can't hit shit, one phone call and poof, 4 more birds appear in the field. I can be home on the porch with a beer before dark!!😏

That is definitely a stress free way to do it!

Lots cheaper also.

I finally visited a preserve local to me for the first time recently, had a good time and got the dogs some work. Birds held extremely tight or ran like chickens, with no in-between, but flew well and a good time was had by all. It doesn't give the rush of cornering and getting up a wild rooster, but it was fun. Good eating too, nice soft meat. Hundred bucks for 4 birds, which is 2 meals. Hard to beat a fun couple hours in the field plus two great meals for that price.

I finally visited a preserve local to me for the first time recently, had a good time and got the dogs some work. Birds held extremely tight or ran like chickens, with no in-between, but flew well and a good time was had by all. It doesn't give the rush of cornering and getting up a wild rooster, but it was fun. Good eating too, nice soft meat. Hundred bucks for 4 birds, which is 2 meals. Hard to beat a fun couple hours in the field plus two great meals for that price.
That is cheap. Wish I had something like that close.

Write in vote for my local preserve. No competition. Can be there in an hour. No aching legs. If I can't hit shit, one phone call and poof, 4 more birds appear in the field. I can be home on the porch with a beer before dark!!😏
Thumbs down

Back