Quick Limit

I hunted private ground this morning, I got there a little late and stepped into the grass at 8:30. All filter strips with a mixture of foxtail and switch grass. First two points were hens. Then 3 wild flushing roosters. We rounded a little bend and a solid point and rooster number one went down in a drainage ditch.

We had a few more hens. Belle got birdy and rooster number 2 went down.
I had all day to hunt and decided I wasn't going to shoot again until later in the morning.
We worked through some really thick switch grass and came to a patch of foxtail and a solid point, I couldn't resist and dumped the last rooster at 9:25...
It was a great morning.

Congrats to you on your hunt today!:)

It was a great day to be afield or next to a lake:p

Great to see you pack some prairie storm on your hunts. Copper 5's have been my favorite load for quite some time now. Keep sharing your great hunts!

Great hunt and thanks for posting pictures !!!! Glad to here the upward trend in pheasant numbers .

Is there a pretty good buffer program in your area or in general in your state ?

Last year I bought two boxes of those Fiochi's. The don't always eject from my O/U, sticking in the breach. Have you experienced this? I don't have the problem with any other load.

I notice the water retrieve the bird is still very much alive. I had one on our trip, the pheasant swimming across the river like a darn duck. Buried itself under the river bank and Max went in to dig him out.

I actually haven't used any of the prairie storms on birds yet just paper. They pattern a choke tighter than what's in my gun so my thought was if I wanted to stretch the range a bit I could without changing chokes, or late season when they are a little tougher. So far this season I have just used imp. cyl. and Premium 6's.
This particular farm is 300 acres total and 120 of it was in a buffer strip program but someone in the system torqued him off and he is taking it all out... CRP payment have went up recently, with the commodities what they are and the inputs staying high I think we will see some more ground being enrolled. Most of what we have to hunt as far as private land goes is some sort of buffer/filter strip.
That particular Pheasant didn't move once it hit the water, it was hit pretty hard but I have seen them swim just as fast as a duck.
I always shot Fiocchi in my 12 but I just bought that box for patterning and went with Federal for this new 20.

Last edited:
nice picture

that is one of my most enjoyable pictures I have seen... live pheasant retrieved from water, u have a good camera as well. what breed is your dog? thanks for sharing

I am glad you enjoyed the picture. Belle is a 1 1/2 year old Chocolate Lab female. I don't have anything fancy for a camera just an IPhone.

Back