Quail is South East IL

I was in Crawford County IL Last weekend in August and heard good reports from locals on quail and broods of little ones. I also saw a handful myself while up there, but no little ones. What are other people seeing for quail in IL?

I was in Crawford County IL Last weekend in August and heard good reports from locals on quail and broods of little ones

G.B.--thanks for the report:). I have a quick question for you; Is that area below the Illinois "pheasant line" or do you have both quail and pheasants running down that way?

Nick

Crawford is out of pheasant range. If you get NW to Effingham area there are pockets of pheasants. Or go North of Crawford Cty about an hour and again some pockets of pheasants. In those areas if you spend some time knocking on doors you can find a place to hunt. Wait until crops are off as what few birds are there will be much harder to find. Good Luck!:cheers:

Man, I wish I could make it down that way. It's been some time since I've chased ol' Bob.

Anyway, I was asking because I wasn't sure where the pheasant line was here in IL. Good thing to know in case someone asks:thumbsup:

Have a good evening G.B.

Nick

Last edited:
I was about 7 miles West of Robinson near Oblong, IL. I heard from others in the area that they were seeing more quail this year than they have in the past several years. Good to hear that somebody else was getting the same report. :thumbsup:

I've seen some where I live in Pike County...unfortunately ALL the ground is sucked up by deer hunters and their hundreds of thousands of dollars that they spend on leases here

I've seen some where I live in Pike County...unfortunately ALL the ground is sucked up by deer hunters and their hundreds of thousands of dollars that they spend on leases here

The deer hunters are losing their A$$es right now with the massive EHD losses there.

Man, I wish I could make it down that way. It's been some time since I've chased ol' Bob.

Anyway, I was asking because I wasn't sure where the pheasant line was here in IL. Good thing to know in case someone asks:thumbsup:

Have a good evening G.B.

Nick

Had a friend from Indiana go over to IL to run his dog today and he got up a few roosters and a couple hens. Said some of the crops are down so he was pleased to see the birds. This was North of Effingham, IL. :)

Did a scouting trip to Iroquois Co last Sat. Most of the crops are out, the cover is far better than last year but we didn't run the dogs out.

Land owners are giving us the same stuff as usual. Some say they are seeing birds others say they haven't seen one, usually the same ones giving the same answers.

One guy says there ain't none but we can hunt. I can guarantee we'll see 50 or more birds in his ditch, just like always. I don;t think he knows what a pheasant looks like.

Land owners are giving us the same stuff as usual. Some say they are seeing birds others say they haven't seen one, usually the same ones giving the same answers.

One guy says there ain't none but we can hunt. I can guarantee we'll see 50 or more birds in his ditch, just like always. I don;t think he knows what a pheasant looks like.

I was just talking with a gentleman about this. Said the same thing. "I don't see birds while harvesting anymore". This is a common theme here in IL the past 15 years or so.

Despite not seeing birds, they are still there. The difference is they're very shy/elusive/wild and don't stick around long enough for the farmer's combine to flush them---Unlike the IL birds of the 80's and 90's which would let the combine get closer before flushing into plain site of the farmer.

We're dealing with a different bird here in IL. He's shyer and very elusive compared to our birds 15-20 years ago and very very rarely let's us get a glimpse of him unless flushed from cover.

Back