Pup outside

No age in the winter in MN. Summer the skeets will drain their blood as well. It's a tough sell up here. Parts of the year it is as enjoyable to them as it is for man camping under the stars. I quit doing it many years ago when I opened my Labs house and about 5,000 mosquitos bailed out.

I would have to agree with FCSpringer if it's an outside only kennel run. I've seen some nice inside/outside runs where the inside is closed off from the outside, which makes it a little more tolerable to the elements. Them damn skeets will eat em alive if there outside all day.

One solution albeit not the cheapest.

View attachment 8129

Last edited:
I would have to agree with FCSpringer if it's an outside only kennel run. I've seen some nice inside/outside runs where the inside is closed off from the outside, which makes it a little more tolerable to the elements. Them damn skeets will eat em alive if there outside all day.

One solution albeit not the cheapest.

View attachment 8129

Very nice! What brand are those panels? I currently have chain link but hope to use welded panels next time.

Very nice! What brand are those panels? I currently have chain link but hope to use welded panels next time.

Ha ha, that's not my setup. 😊

I keep my two GSP's indoors. I just pulled that pic off the net as an example of indoor/outdoor run.

My four dogs are in outside runs year round. However they are roughing it with heated houses with flap doors & sleeping compartments separate from the entry.
Runs are covered from Sun & snow. One dog is the "house dog" at a time so they get their social time & we get to spoil'em some.

A young Pup of any breed is an exception to being out in cold weather. Till any of our Pups were around 5-6 mos old I don't kennel them out in the Winter.
Pups here are occasional as we replace our dogs through attrition of old age & passing. The flea & tick preventative we use also repels mosquitoes.
Any grown dog with draft free, insulated sleeping quarters & a run sheltered from hot sun & cold winds can be kenneled outside. We live in the North Shore of Lake Superior MN. area.
Winters come early & stay long here. Our setup works fine & the dogs are well cared for & content. It can be done.

Back