public land

sanjuandel

i am looking for public areas in the minot area.anything decent available there? i don't know farmers,to ask. thanks.

ND has lots of Wildlife management areas. Some big stuff on the Missouri River to the West and South of Minot. Get the info where you buy the license or Get the info or order at the ND G&F website.

If you're a non resident there are restrictions on where you can hunt the first week of the pheasant season. The licensing for non residents is not wide open either and must be done in blocks of time. Non resident waterfowl is also restricted in where you can hunt. Check the NDG&F site.

http://gf.nd.gov/

A Nonresident May Not Hunt G&F Lands October 13-19
In accordance with state law, nonresidents are not allowed to hunt on Game and Fish Department wildlife management areas or conservation PLOTS (Private Land Open To Sportsmen) areas from October 13-19, 2012.

ND has lots of Wildlife management areas. Some big stuff on the Missouri River to the West and South of Minot. Get the info where you buy the license or Get the info or order at the ND G&F website.

Big stuff is an understatement. lol

I was amazed at the size of some public lands out there. Huge fields. At times it was tough to know where to start.

I loved it out there. Only been there once, but hope to go again in the near future.

Big stuff is an understatement. lol

I was amazed at the size of some public lands out there. Huge fields. At times it was tough to know where to start.

I loved it out there. Only been there once, but hope to go again in the near future.

Phez:) you should check out the National Grasslands out West. LOTS of walking.:cheers:

so there are not alot of hunters in close together? this must be a huge area.

Yup , good size chunk of land. You want to walk? Not at all hard leaving the public behind. :cheers:

I hunted ND in 92 with 2 freinds of mine for 12 days. Back then you could hunt any land that wasn't posted. Is it still like this or have they changed the rulues since then? We are talking about making this trip again.
How much is a non resident licence now and has the rules changed on that also as far as how many days you can hunt?

ND does not allow NR hunters to hunt the State Wildlife Management areas the first week.
Non Residents choose 2, 1 week periods to hunt pheasants during the season. The first week is determined when you buy the license, your second week can be determined at a later date.
NR's can hunt private land and Federal Land such as the National Grasslands during the opening week.

I would go during the second week of the season. Resident Hunters will be mostly at home, especially Monday-Fri. The only hunter competition You'll have is from other NR's and that won't be bad.

You can still hunt Non Posted private land in ND. Most of the private land with pheasants now days is posted. Get a ways from town, stop, visit a bit with the landowner and many will open the gate. :)

Best of adventure, you guys.:cheers:

thanks for the help. going somewhere new is allways the pits for the first time. i am in reno and not alot of pheasants around here. not sure if our trip to iowa will happen this year,so i'm looking for a bachup plan. thanks gene.

You can use lead on the Federal land, except for the Waterfowl production areas. And National Wildlife Refuges. Same for State land.

Not sure how rigid your plans are as far as the Minot area, but you will find that the better pheasant hunting to be south of of there and specifically Interstate 94. Not to say you won't find any in and around the Minot area, just that your odds for a better hunt and considering the distance you are coming from, you may want to re-think where your basing out of.

During the glory years or basically the last 15+ years the SW has always had the most birds. However, that comes with a catch. Most of the land is posted and much of the posted land is pay-to-hunt. Just a thought, but unless you must be in Minot, Bismarck may be a better place to base from or possibly even Dickinson. For those that are traveling a long ways and have no time for scouting, sometimes mixing in a day or two of paying a trespass fee can be worth your while. It may not be something your interested in, however, keep it in mind the amount of birds you will see may make your trip worthwhile. Just a thought. :)

Private land will generally open up and be easier to gain access to the farther east you get from Bismarck and as I stated earlier, think south of the Interstate for the main Pheasant belt.

Be sure to get a copy of the North Dakota Plots map when you get there. It shows where all of the walk-in areas are that are open to the public.

Most of all have fun.....

Last edited:
Not sure how rigid your plans are as far as the Minot area, but you will find that the better pheasant hunting to be south of of there and specifically Interstate 94. Not to say you won't find any in and around the Minot area, just that your odds for a better hunt and considering the distance you are coming from, you may want to re-think where your basing out of.

During the glory years or basically the last 15+ years the SW has always had the most birds. However, that comes with a catch. Most of the land is posted and and much of the posted land is pay-to-hunt. Just a thought, but unless you must be in Minot, Bismarck may be a better place to base from or possibly even Dickinson. For those that are traveling a long ways and have no time for scouting, sometimes mixing in a day or two of paying a trespass fee can be worth your while. It may not be something your interested in, however, keep it in mind the amount of birds you will see may make your trip worthwhile. Just a thought. :)

Private land will generally open up and be easier to gain access to the farther east you get from Bismarck and as I stated earlier, think south of the Interstate for the main Pheasant belt.

Be sure to get a copy of the North Dakota Plots map when you get there. It shows where all of the walk-in areas are that are open to the public.

Most of all have fun.....

good advice.......:thumbsup:

Back