Public Land Prizes / Christmas Break

KSBrittman

View attachment 8952

What better way to spend a few days between Christmas and New Years than chasing pheasants , My youngest hunting buddy with his shorthair that helped him put these birds in the bag .

View attachment 8953

2nd day of the hunt as well as 1st day all pheasants were runners and led us on tracks of 100yds or more Much More !!!!, here 2 of the 3 birds taken before noon , deffinatley Public Land prizes and well earned .

Anybody else get out between Christmas and New Years?

Happy 2019 Everybody !!!!

Well done! Had good luck Sunday in snow filled cats. Still a lot of unharvested sunflowers here. Hope to get back out Thursday and Sunday.

Had a little fresh snow on the 26th. Made it out for a cattail hunt on state stocked land. Late season Birds really held tight,
with our spaniel “pointing” both. 2 in the bag, but the best part was being able to hunt with he youngest son.

Had a little fresh snow on the 26th. Made it out for a cattail hunt on state stocked land. Late season Birds really held tight,
with our spaniel “pointing” both. 2 in the bag, but the best part was being able to hunt with he youngest son.

Family , Pheasants and bird dogs don’t get much better than that .

View attachment 8954 Worst shooting day of my life. The dog pointed 3 roosters in the first hour but I only managed one, one miss, and one I was out of position when the bird flushed. 6 hours later I bagged my 3rd rooster in the last minute of shooting time. 4 missed roosters and one dropped somewhere in the middle that the dog got to run down in a cut bean field. A wild hunt with poor shooting and good dog work!

View attachment 8954 Worst shooting day of my life. The dog pointed 3 roosters in the first hour but I only managed one, one miss, and one I was out of position when the bird flushed. 6 hours later I bagged my 3rd rooster in the last minute of shooting time. 4 missed roosters and one dropped somewhere in the middle that the dog got to run down in a cut bean field. A wild hunt with poor shooting and good dog work!

I had a similar day the first day of my hunt with out your success , should of had my limit , sounds like your dog forgave you for your misses and kept on working hard for you!!

Are birds on a slight upward trend in your state ?

I know a good swath across Iowa has very good pheasant numbers but where I am located the numbers are ok at best. I work 6 days a week so I'm limited to local public areas, all my private fields either aren't worth hunting or have changed hands. I've never missed as many birds(lots of long crossers) as I have this year and I've bagged the most since 04 when I was in high school. I've found that where there is good cover, there are plenty of birds, but there are few opportunities left in fence rows and waterways.

I would have to agree , waterways and weedy ditches and hedgerows were the rule of the day for me back in early to mid 80’s , then CRP was real productive late 90’s through about 2008 or so now the NE part of our state doesn’t have much left for pheasant cover , I am finding the State managed lands my best option .

Good to hear your season is productive , thanks for the picture!!!

I am obviously not in the know here with this, but state stocked land? Wisconsin stocks pheasants on state land?

Is it a one time thing? Or multiple releases throughout the year? Do they announce when/where the birds are released? A few pieces of land get all the birds or all the land gets a few birds?

That’s a fine looking French Britt !!! If I get another tri-color would be my preference !!!

How much does Jazz weigh ?

Thanks. She weighs in at 45 pounds. Also, thanks for asking for a picture. I had given up posting pics here a long time ago as the process had become a pain. It’s back to being “normal” now. I would never have checked if you hadn’t asked.

I am obviously not in the know here with this, but state stocked land? Wisconsin stocks pheasants on state land?

Is it a one time thing? Or multiple releases throughout the year? Do they announce when/where the birds are released? A few pieces of land get all the birds or all the land gets a few birds?

The Wisconsin DNR plans to stock 90 properties with approximately 75,000 pheasants from the state game farm. Depending
on production levels, pheasants are released once prior to the pheasant hunting season and then twice a week for the first two
to three weeks of the season. After that, birds are released about once a week until the 9-day gun deer season. Most
properties are only stocked once or twice more during December. The number of birds released depends on property size and
weather conditions.

Along with a list of the locations and number of birds released.

WI actually drops a couple thousand birds Christmas week trying to keep family traditions alive. As mentioned, its all online.

Back