public kansas hunt

carptom1

OK guys, my two boys and I are going to head out for a little public hunting the Tuesday-Wednesday after Christmas. I was wondering if anyone was headed out and might want to hook up for a day. I have to admit I am fairly uneducated on WIHA in Kansas even though I live here. I have access to what used to be great land out in the western part of the state, but honestly the birds are simply not there anymore. This is the only opportunity we will have to hunt together this year as my oldest boy is a teacher and is newly married and my younger one is in college at Emporia. Either way we will have a great time as always but it would be nice to at least see a few birds. Feel free to PM any coordinates of live birds :)

OK guys, my two boys and I are going to head out for a little public hunting the Tuesday-Wednesday after Christmas. I was wondering if anyone was headed out and might want to hook up for a day. I have to admit I am fairly uneducated on WIHA in Kansas even though I live here. I have access to what used to be great land out in the western part of the state, but honestly the birds are simply not there anymore. This is the only opportunity we will have to hunt together this year as my oldest boy is a teacher and is newly married and my younger one is in college at Emporia. Either way we will have a great time as always but it would be nice to at least see a few birds. Feel free to PM any coordinates of live birds :)

Isn't there a guy in the pay 2 hunt thread that should be guiding you on public? :D ;)

I've seen pheasants this year - better #'s than there have been in a while but the #"s are still crap - only 2 roosters have gotten up in gun range, the rest like to take off a half mile away or the dog has just been pressuring a bit too much...either way they had their running gear on so without the dog likely would have had no clue they were there to begin with.

I've been hunting where the drought made the place look like the moon so the survivors are descendants of some tough SOB's.

After Christmas I'll be hitting it a bit more hard core. Hard to get away on my multiple multi day trips anymore with a toddler at home.

Isn't there a guy in the pay 2 hunt thread that should be guiding you on public? :D ;)

I've seen pheasants this year - better #'s than there have been in a while but the #"s are still crap - only 2 roosters have gotten up in gun range, the rest like to take off a half mile away or the dog has just been pressuring a bit too much...either way they had their running gear on so without the dog likely would have had no clue they were there to begin with.

I've been hunting where the drought made the place look like the moon so the survivors are descendants of some tough SOB's.

After Christmas I'll be hitting it a bit more hard core. Hard to get away on my multiple multi day trips anymore with a toddler at home.

That's funny stuff right there. Yea I am just trying to be a man and hunt some public.

I'm planning on heading to that general area with my 14yo son Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday as well. We are definitely going to the Cimarron grasslands to try our hand at some scaled quail one day but we are pretty much just playing it by ear the rest of the time. I don't have any experience that far SW but I'd be open to walking a field or two together and meeting a fellow hunter and uph member. I'll send you a pm alittle later.

Back