Prepping for a controlled burn.

Weimdogman

The best preparation makes for the best burn. If you are wanting to do a spring burn fall mowing and baling gives a great headstart. If not done in the fall mowing and raking is a good idea.

Lots of water and people who know what is expected of them is a absolute. We burned 4 pieces yesterday and it all went smooth thanks to good prep and a knowledgeable leader.
20240414_084806.jpg

Last edited:
Last Sunday and Monday we did 1400 acres of grass and pine. You are very correct, a good plan is an absolute necessity when playing with fire.

We get the local FD out with a couple rigs when we burn. A couple tillage passes to turn the edges black first.

I'm a huge fan of fire, I used to burn everything we could for years. I had a cedar go up a few years back and embers jumped our backburn line and caught a neighboring piece on fire. Luckily no structural damage just a hay field and some rough pasture but that was one of the sickest feeling I've ever had watching that burn. It stresses me out something terrible now and we probably don't burn like we should any longer.

We used to be very laid back about burning.. more or less light it and see what happens.. then we had to call the FD to keep it from taking out all of our CRP a few years back, and since then we've got a good sprayer, and are much more calculated with our burns/timing/approach.

I really enjoy burning, and the benefits for the habitat speak for themselves.

Our same group burned off 3 pieces of ground again today. On the largest burn 110+- acres we had a local small town fd out with 2 trucks. Trouble is the small truck with 400 gallons of water weighs over 15000ibs. That limits there usefulness. Have 2 more pieces a landowner is begging us to do. 58 acres of 3 year old awesome crp and 90 acres of pasture that was idol last year. Crp has trees on 2 sides and a draw with willows and full grown cedars on the north (high) end.

Back