Preferred 20 Gauge Shell

Munster927

Pulled the trigger today on ordering my first over under. I have a 20 gauge Citori 725 Feather on order through Scheels that's supposed to be here in about a week and would like some shell recommendations.

The gun can shoot 2.75 or 3 inchers, anyone see much difference that shoots a 20? I use 2.75 in my 12 and my 16 so plan on continuing to use 2.75 unless the consensus here is 3s are worth it.

That was my assumption as well. That 2.75 would be just fine but I haven't shot a 20 gauge as a bird gun in almost 20 years and I definitely didn't pay attention to shell specs much then or can I even remember what I used back then.

Thankfully my breed club is having a fun hunt in a couple weeks at a game farm so I can put it through it's paces a bit on a few birds assuming it shows up within 2 weeks.

Fiocchi Golden Peasant either five or six shot for pheasant, I use Boss 5 shot where non tox is required works great on ducks and geese on the pond.

With lead, 7/8 or 1 oz will be 2 3/4 which is typically good. A full 1 1/8 load is pretty sharp recoil for those light guns.

If you happen to do steel it'll be a 3 inch just for 7/8 payload due to steels density.

Pulled the trigger today on ordering my first over under. I have a 20 gauge Citori 725 Feather on order through Scheels that's supposed to be here in about a week and would like some shell recommendations.

The gun can shoot 2.75 or 3 inchers, anyone see much difference that shoots a 20? I use 2.75 in my 12 and my 16 so plan on continuing to use 2.75 unless the consensus here is 3s are worth it.

I shoot 1oz 5s or 6s for pheasant sometimes, but I have found myself shooting more and more 3" 1 1/4 5s. Not that i think you NEED the extra pellets, but it certainly doesn't hurt anything and they arent any worse on recoil when adrenaline is pumping. Golden pheasant is my factory shell of choice.

We kill by putting pellets through vitals, almost always the heavier payload shell will give a better overall pattern with a better chance of multiple vital strikes than a lighter payload of the same shot. Its just at what limit you stop. If you have a medical issue that restricts recoil, or very small framed, then your limit will be lower. If you are shooting super close shots and 215 pellets is too many and ruining meat, then you may have to drop to 7/8 or 1oz. Or, if you are a pride hunter that simply will never touch a 3 inch shell because they think its not traditional.

I always catch flack for shooting 3" shells with groups, but i always offer a shell and say "try this on your first shot and see how it works". Almost all return with 3" shells later that season because the recoil is really not an issue.

I got the same gun a year ago. I used 2 3/4" Federal Premium 1oz 5's. They did good for me. Later in the season I put Federal blue box 3" 5's in the second barrel. They did well also. I run Briley ported chokes in light modified and improved modified.

1 oz. of lead or bismuth 5s at 1200-1250 fps is totally adequate for most pheasant shooting. If you plan to take many 40+ yard shots, consider tightening choke a bit & with bismuth, size up to 4s (& possibly consider 1-1/8 oz loads if the bismuth 4s are manufactured too big & don't give close to 150 pellets in an ounce).

Last edited:
Since you ordered your shotgun from Scheels you might consider. These. They are made by Fiocchi and I have had good luck with them in 20 gauge. I’m sure your Scheels store will have some in stock.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll probably end up patterning a handful of shell brands this summer as well. I saw mostly 3" at my local Scheels when I ordered the gun so might have to go with 3s to start out and then order some 2.75s and do some patterning.

I got the same gun a year ago. I used 2 3/4" Federal Premium 1oz 5's. They did good for me. Later in the season I put Federal blue box 3" 5's in the second barrel. They did well also. I run Briley ported chokes in light modified and improved modified.
How do you like the Briley chokes? I may invest in a set for this gun. You notice any difference in patterning?

I think Briley chokes are a step up from factory chokes but I’m not a fan of ported chokes, especially when I’m off to the side of someone shooting them.

My wife shoots 3 inch #5 and does very well. But back in the day my old man shot lots of ducks with a original 870 and 1 ounce of #6. He never complained about being under gunned. I still have the 870. Also some of the paper super x hulls. Enjoy your new gun.

How do you like the Briley chokes? I may invest in a set for this gun. You notice any difference in patterning?

I have a briley 20ga invector plus extended ported blued LM for sale if you are interested. $50. Has two boxes of shells through it. Send me a PM if you want pics

I think Briley chokes are a step up from factory chokes but I’m not a fan of ported chokes, especially when I’m off to the side of someone shooting them.
Yeah if I decide to grab a pair I'll get the non ported versions. I like ported chokes for my turkey gun but that's about it.

I have mot patterned the ones in my 20 but they did seem to perform well. I have a set of non-ported for my 12 ga 725 Feather and they did pattern better than the factory tubes.

I like 3 inch shells in my 20 ga shotgun when hunting upland. good buddy once told me that if your going to drive a long distance to go hunting (coming from Washington state to North Dakota) you might cinsider the few extra bucks To make sure you have what you feel is premium ammo. I hunt behind flushers so often my shooting is a bit farther than those with pointers. I have found that I like Fiocchi golden pheasant #4 or #5 in 3 inch, 1 1/4 oz, 1300 fps loads. Yeah I could probably shoot them in 1 oz but my feeling is for an extra dollar or so a box I lean toward the couple extra pellets. These are nickel plated and kick Is light. irs all a choice but the Fiocchi patterns well in my gun. No matter your choice, take the time to pattern your gun with the ammo and distances you expect to shoot birds. You‘ll be happy you did.

Back