Predator proof johnny house

bauerline

I need some help trying to make my johnny house more predator proof. I have a recall funnel at the base with a door to cover the funnel up at night. The problem is if I get to the johnny house too late one time a mink or weasel might get in and take out my quail. I had this happen over the winter. I got to the johnny house a little after sunset and something got in and killed all my birds. Is there some kind of spring loaded recall funnel or do I need to think about moving the location of the funnel?

It's an art more than a science, to difficult the birds won't get in, pile up in the funnel, or give up and roost outside where the critters will get 'em. I have had good luck with the heavy re-enforced Lion Country Supply funnels. I surround the call back pens with 16'cattle panels in a circle using 5 or 6 panels. And I trap around the perimeter. Panels keep the cattle and horses from tipping over the johnny house!, and keep the dogs from constantly pointing the johnny house. I also re-enforce the floor with double wire hardware cloth, 1" it has saved me more than once. Biggest problem predator I have is possums, believe it or not,caught several the hard way,after it squeezed through funnel, or tore out ther bottom, killed and ate some but killed the rest, were to big to squeeze out the same hole.

I need some help trying to make my johnny house more predator proof. I have a recall funnel at the base with a door to cover the funnel up at night. The problem is if I get to the johnny house too late one time a mink or weasel might get in and take out my quail. I had this happen over the winter. I got to the johnny house a little after sunset and something got in and killed all my birds. Is there some kind of spring loaded recall funnel or do I need to think about moving the location of the funnel?

Predator Proof Funnel by QRT at gundog supply. 160.00
They work for us. We use them on a surrogator but should be good for a johnny house.

Back