Prairie Dog State Park?

Can anyone tell me about Prairie Dog State Park, as in how are the facilities? I am going solo this year and don't have the funds for hotels, so I was planning on taking the trailer (popup). I hunt WIHA's so an area that has good number of fields within 1.5 hours is good. I am also guessing that this may be far enough west? My normal haunts are dried up this year so I will be exploring a little. Any info would be appreciated. Looking at headed up middle of next week and getting home in time for Xmas, give or take a few days.

prairie dog has good facilities not sure if you can have a camper there in the winter but they do have a couple cabins that i don't think are to pricey not for sure on that and on the southside of the lake you can hunt it all and they have some walkins close to there also when are you thinking of going

Rusty,

PM sent....please consider coming up and staying with us for a few days.

GCB, you are right about the winter camping, just checked and they have shut down for the season. Back to the drawing board. I suppose I need to start looking for RV Parks. I plan on being around there for about five days somewhere between the 12th and 21st.

Thanks,

Truthfully, it would be cheaper to get a hotel. When we tent camp it is over $20 plus you have to have a park permit. Then the extra gas in towing a camper. I think you can stay at some of the hotels for $35 or $40. When I go to Wilson I stay in Russell for under $40.

In a tent popup your going to use 40.00 in propane heating the darn thing per day! I've tried it. Most of the camp grounds even closed, will let you camp, they just provide no services, so you have to take bring it and take it with you. Most still have a septic dump system operational. You will still need a park permit.

you can camp toilets are open just the showers and water is shut off,the park pass is $3.70 a day there is a couple spots on the south side to camp for free,one of the summer officers told the cabins are all reserved thru this year,they are $80 a night and sleep up to 8?.I hunted out there today bymyself and got three pheasant and two quail.LOTS OF DEER hunters in the area.send me a PM if u would like to hunt i live within 40 min. from norton. Hope this helps u out,have fun and be safe.:)

I have stayed there in a popup in the middle of january durng the cold. You can rent a site with elect only, no water or sewer and the showers are closed. My propane lasts me 3 to 4 days in the dead of winter. If you have a state park annual permit, site with elect cost $14 per night. If no park permit, then $18 per night. I also confirmed on the KDWP web site that the park is open for camping (elect hookups only) all winter.

Last edited:
I have electric plug in heaters that I use in the winter, works pretty good. Showers would be good though. Any ideas of RV Parks anywhere out that direction?

Scotty, I know that Love's very well. Have left a lot of my money there over the years. I haven't made it to Norton yet this year. It is usually our opening weekend spot but I had family obligations. How did you do?

Scotty, thanks for the info. I will have to check it out. I am holed up at Praire Dog SP for now. Got the whole place to myself. Very quiet. I am dry camping in a small airstream so full hookups not needed. Just need electric to run heater.

Consider the Graham County fairgrounds in Hill City. No restrooms, just electricity. Water may or may not be on in the fawcets. $10 a night, right on the edge of town so dogs are not a problem, but the town is close. Usually only one or two rigs there.

Holy smokes, I driven mud before but this is in a category all to itself. Add these hills and it makes things interesting. Sticking to the gravel tomorrow. Kicked up a good number of hens, had one old rooster sit tight in the rain and the shot range true. Saw no other hunters or anyone else for that matter. Hunted the WMA in the morning then WIHA's after lunch. Anybody around that wants to hunt the next day or do send a PM.

Holy smokes, I driven mud before but this is in a category all to itself. Add these hills and it makes things interesting. Sticking to the gravel tomorrow. Kicked up a good number of hens, had one old rooster sit tight in the rain and the shot range true. Saw no other hunters or anyone else for that matter. Hunted the WMA in the morning then WIHA's after lunch. Anybody around that wants to hunt the next day or do send a PM.

The mud out there is something special :D Is there still snow on the ground out there?

I just spent $10 in quarters powerwashing MOST of Sunday's mud off my truck and floor mats. I ran out of quarters before I ran out of mud. Good thing it rained yesterday and today in Manhattan. Hopefully mother nature will get the rest of it for me.:thumbsup:

Melted off yesterday with the warm weather and light rain.

Are the roads out there passable. I was supposed to head out around Norton with my son and some friends to hunt? We have 4 wheel drive, but I know when the roads are really bad, you still get stuck.

Back