Poweshiek County

CT20

Has anyone seen any birds in this area? Haven't hunted in Iowa for about 5 years, but I am looking to come back if the numbers are decent

Thanks for any info.

Iowa County

Talked to 2 farmers that have ground near Wellman over the weekend. They said last 2 season they told out of staters not to come, birds scarce. This year they are seein some broods around and hope it will be better. Also talked to the dnr biologist yesterday afternoon by phone, he says they are optimistic and seeing some broods too but the carry over was awful. I am waiting until the August survey to make my plans for the fall trip. SD is such a long drive for me , would love to be able to hunt Iowa if there is a decent bird count.

I'm from Des Moines(obviously not Poweshiek county) and saw two roosters and a hen Monday night while I was out looking for some public land to hopefully hunt this fall. I don't think two birds says anything about great numbers, but it was more than none :)

I've read a few places that the population is supposed to go up by 40% this year, and I heard last weekend that it was supposed to go up 80%. This is actually my first year of hunting and wasn't aware that our pheasant population had gotten so low, and it's like somebody on here said, a 40% increase(or even 80%) of a small number isn't that much. Hopefully the numbers aren't too bad so I can get out and shoot at least one bird for my first year out!

Back