Possibly coming to SD for the 1st time

CT20

What county or area would be the best bet for farmers to allow someone hunt their property in mid-November? Have always had good luck with this this in Iowa and Kansas over the last 15yrs or so. Only 3 hunters are coming.

it would be extremely unlikely to get permission for free, this is basically a "pay to play" state, anywhere from $125-200 per day, per hunter.

Believe it or not there will be good old fashion folks that will let a red blooded American hunt. Just be nice and respectful. Leave it like it was or better. Even if a pop bottle was not yours, they may think so. So grab an extra on the way out. That helps with a return visit another day. Ask for the day, don't ask for the thought of hunting day in and out. I never had any trouble meeting folks when I hunted out west. In fact they would not except any token. But did like the idea of a bag of fresh walleye fillets, or something on that order. Or some the right flavor of vino. Have fun

FCSpringer,

Just joined the website, but I couldn't agree with you more. I started going to SD in '06 and had no idea on where to hunt. We actually asked the guy we got our lodging through and he gave us a name. We knocked on the door and we got his grandson. He said all of the hunting rights had been passed on to him and he usually doesn't let anyone hunt his land. We figured that's fine, said our good bye's and went on our way. Before we could get out of his driveway he turned around and stopped us and said thank you to US for actually asking for permission to hunt his land. We were shocked. He told us we were the first group of hunters to actually ask for permission. He really appreciated that. We couldn't believe it. We gave him that year and every year since a gift of Wisconsin bratwurst and cheese that probably would supply him for the whole year. He was truly grateful as were we. We've been able to hunt his land ever since and he actually joined us a few times when he's been able to. I guess my point is be respectful of the landowner and you never know what might happen.

Alzhiemer's

FCSpringer count backwards from 100 by sevens.... just kidding, but I am really curious if you would tell all of us when and where(roughly) in South Dakota that you drove your truck onto a farm yard of someone you did not know, knocked on the door, and had the people who are often in the house actually answer the door, let alone let you shoot their rooster for free. More interestingly, why are you telling other hunters on this board that this can be done...

FCSpringer count backwards from 100 by sevens.... just kidding, but I am really curious if you would tell all of us when and where(roughly) in South Dakota that you drove your truck onto a farm yard of someone you did not know, knocked on the door, and had the people who are often in the house actually answer the door, let alone let you shoot their rooster for free. More interestingly, why are you telling other hunters on this board that this can be done...

my parents are constantly asked if they could hunt land and the pheasant pit across the highway... pretty much a shelter belt that no one is allowed to hunt but our family. every year there are 100's of pheasants hide in there. its hillarious to watch the hunters go 3-5 mph by the trees and see the house is no farther than 100 yards.. and tempted to shoot.

we do get alot of request.. around our county, if you shoot a gun on a property you didnt ask permission on, our state's attorney's office are pressing hard on tresspassers than they did 10 years ago. one shot can lead to a hefty fine and a revoke hunting license.

Nice last comment niceshot. What it cant be done? and why not tell people on this forum that it can be done. It is very unlikely but it is still possible.

Watch.

CT20 what dates are you thinking of coming. If you are going to be in the Western Clark County Area Hunting and hunting on a Fri Sat in late November I may have a place for you to hunt on private land. PM me if you are interested.

Last edited:
Nice last comment niceshot. What it cant be done? and why not tell people on this forum that it can be done. It is very unlikely but it is still possible.

Watch.

CT20 what dates are you thinking of coming. If you are going to be in the Western Clark County Area Hunting and hunting on a Fri Sat in late November I may have a place for you to hunt on private land. PM me if you are interested.

wow....that's a pretty narrow window, along with a "maybe"? better than nothing i guess, but the guy will spend a lot of good hunting time knocking on doors, looking for a freebie...just a fact.

wow....that's a pretty narrow window, along with a "maybe"? better than nothing i guess, but the guy will spend a lot of good hunting time knocking on doors, looking for a freebie...just a fact.

Your right someone that comes to SD for the first time and is just going to knock on doors is going to waste alot of hunting time.

I dont see the narrow window. If the dates work out where I am going to be pheasant hunting and not taken care of family matters or deer hunting 300+ miles from the pheasant stomping grounds then I would be able to have a place for him to hunt. Maybe I should have clarified more. Here is my November schedule November 6 & 7 is my wifes birthday weekend "god help me if I miss that" November 12 13 and 14th I will be in Jackson county chasing Mule Deer other then that I am wide open.

Just trying to help a fellow hunter out in his quest to shoot some South Dakota roosters. :)

Your right someone that comes to SD for the first time and is just going to knock on doors is going to waste alot of hunting time.

I dont see the narrow window. If the dates work out where I am going to be pheasant hunting and not taken care of family matters or deer hunting 300+ miles from the pheasant stomping grounds then I would be able to have a place for him to hunt. Maybe I should have clarified more. Here is my November schedule November 6 & 7 is my wifes birthday weekend "god help me if I miss that" November 12 13 and 14th I will be in Jackson county chasing Mule Deer other then that I am wide open.

Just trying to help a fellow hunter out in his quest to shoot some South Dakota roosters. :)

awfully nice offer loch, hope it works out for him...good luck on your mulie hunt too!

Believe it or not there will be good old fashion folks that will let a red blooded American hunt. Just be nice and respectful. Leave it like it was or better. Even if a pop bottle was not yours, they may think so. So grab an extra on the way out. That helps with a return visit another day. Ask for the day, don't ask for the thought of hunting day in and out. I never had any trouble meeting folks when I hunted out west. In fact they would not except any token. But did like the idea of a bag of fresh walleye fillets, or something on that order. Or some the right flavor of vino. Have fun

I still believe there are a number of good people that will let free lancers hunt without paying a fee. Granted some days and some areas are better than others for getting permission. I always am honest and very sincere when asking people for permission. Anyone who I do get permission always gets a thank you card and if I go back again they get a gift. I will always believe there are still good people around that will grant permission, it just might be the last day of the season in a blizzard that will turn the landowner sympathic enough to grant permission but as Jim Carey in Dumb and Dumber said "your telling me there's a chance"

I think it possible. But it won't be in an area that will provide hunting like you think it will be in SD. In low pressure areas you might get permission but it will be low volume bird numbers to.

Now you got me thinking....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109686/quotes?qt0383410

Lloyd: What do you think the chances are of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?
Mary: Well, Lloyd, that's difficult to say. I mean, we don't really...
Lloyd: Hit me with it! Just give it to me straight! I came a long way just to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
[pause]
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance... *YEAH!*

Just the expression on Lloyd's face was when he said there is still a chance was hillarios.

Back