Porkie Pine

chad.vis

Just an FYI to you east side hunters. My dogs got into a porcupine at Diamond Lake today. It wasnt good:mad:. It looked like about 50 a piece which is about par for these two knuckle heads but when I got to the truck and opened the young ones mouth i was shocked, looked like he tried to swallow it. I called the vet to ask for help and they couldn't so I did it myself and I think I did alright, Dog ate good when we got home and no acting up so far. Ive ran into them further west SD and in ND and Saskatchewan but never even close to here.

What vet was too busy ... sad. I sure hope it was not your usual vet ... if so, move on and rate them online.

Did they not refer you to another vet ?

I have been in outer ND and SW MN ... called ... and in. Sometimes had to wait ... sometimes the vet tech did much of the work ... one time the vet started and had me finish (stapling).

I couldve said that better. I called at 1130 and they said vet was booked until 4pm and said I could try emergency vet in Sioux Falls. I went to work with my needle nose and the dog actually cooperated realativly well and I pulled until I couldnt find anymore. Ill watch him close tonight and going forward but am fairly confident I got them.

I have not seen a PP , but some pics I saw (here I am thinking) that made me hope that I never have a dog meet one. Someone will maybe repost that pic.

I dont know why this pic comes out so large, This was from last year in ND. This dog is 12 yrs old here and gone now [not from PP quills]. We removed these ourselves as they were almost all very easy to get at and this particular dog treated it almost as overdue attention. Not unusual to see them in Western ND but I was very surprised to see the one yesterday in SE SD

I shoot every porkie I see on the ground. Dog of course at heel or on a leash. Last thing you want is to kill one, have it flopping around, and dog(s) rush in to help.

As i'm sure you know the quills are barbed and any missed or broken off will continue to work there way interior of your dog. Wouldn't worry about lips as they will work there way out the other side, but deeper in mouth or near throat could be problematic if any were missed. I worked on a dog until I couldn't get any further back in the mouth and sent the dog to the vet. Porkies are pretty common in the grouse woods, so far i have yet to encounter on in SD and i hope that streak continues.

As i'm sure you know the quills are barbed and any missed or broken off will continue to work there way interior of your dog. Wouldn't worry about lips as they will work there way out the other side, but deeper in mouth or near throat could be problematic if any were missed. I worked on a dog until I couldn't get any further back in the mouth and sent the dog to the vet. Porkies are pretty common in the grouse woods, so far i have yet to encounter on in SD and i hope that streak continues.
Quills missed will travel until they get walled off or come out.....might be finding them in a month, or2,or3..
It's not common...but...dogs do die from these encounters. I personally know of several.
Definitely should get the dog on antibiotics

FWIW....I porky break all my dogs now, after experiencing a horrific dog/porky encounter 20 years ago.
Good quality hemostats are my tool of choice for pulling them out.

Good quality hemostats are my tool of choice for pulling them out.
I also carry a wooden bit with rope that I can secure to keep the mouth open. I have yet to have to use it on my dogs but have on others.

Back