Porcupines suck

PTM

Just a heads up 2 days of hunting we’ve encountered four my youngest dog has been hit twice. Jon B had some forceps with and we were able to get them pulled. We’re west of the river. Thanks also to Kirk and Tom for the medical assistance. If your coming to SD I would throw a forceps in your tricky bag. Pup has an appointment with the vet Monday to gloss over our field medicine.

I haven’t come across any porkies yet knock on wood, but I ran into a lot of them in North Dakota and Montana. We’re you in heavy cover or grasslands?

We have come upon 3 in the last two year West of the river. We ran into them in ditches next to crop land. They can do a number on your dog.

Yea for awhile I thought you were really here hunting porkies the way your dog was finding them. I don’t know how my dog avoided that monster one he was on

I haven’t come across any porkies yet knock on wood, but I ran into a lot of them in North Dakota and Montana. We’re you in heavy cover or grasslands?
One was just out in the milo, three were in a drainage surrounded by milo, I haven’t seen any in ND this year.

Last year we ran into two of them in ND. One was in a grassy draw right by the edge of a corn field and the second was actually in a corn field. One of my buddies springers got into it with the one in the corn field. Not real bad and was able to pull the quills in the field.

One was just out in the milo, three were in a drainage surrounded by milo, I haven’t seen any in ND this year.

Thanks for the reply. So much for my sense of security. I’ve only found them in short grass while hunting sharp tails.

This is also why I keep a leatherman on my belt while hunting. Specifically the kind that opens the pliers automatically so I can hold the dog still with one hand while yanking out quills with the other.

I have hunted sd 2or3 times per year for 27 years and have never seen a porkupine. Lots of skunks sounds like they are near and west of the river like the rattle snake s. I hope we never run into either. We have them here in Michigan but I've been fortunate enough not to tangle with one my dog will usually stand off and bark if he sees something unusual. He has been sprayed once

Porkies favorite food - corn. Have been known to chew on bark and canoe paddles.

Three years ago my Max found one in heavy cover/cattails and took an unfortunate bite. Too many quills and too deep for us to pull - had to see a vet at Fort Pierre.

Back