Pollinator Mix Going In

SDinWI

Some good news from the FSA office! My continuous CRP application was accepted, and I'll have 15 acres of pollinator mix going in this spring. I've attached the seed mix - lots of goodies for pollinators, insects, and birds. I'm excited to add some good habitat, especially for chicks in the area, as I'm mostly surrounded by wetland and ag. With the quick spring warm-up and all the moisture so far, I'm hoping we can get it sprayed and planted around mid-May. More acres to hopefully be planted next year under general CRP. 🤞

Added some additional pics of the wetland habitat on the land as well. A pretty nice mixture of willows, dogwood, tag alder, cattails...Screen Shot 2024-04-16 at 12.07.06 PM.png

Attachments

• 1713289155389.png
    1713289155389.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 1713289288307.png
    1713289288307.png
    5 MB · Views: 12
  • 1713289713409.png
    1713289713409.png
    4 MB · Views: 13
Update: the CRP was planted June 12th, and it rained later that day. We’ve had great weather for it to grow - it’s all going according to plan 😃

It’s a very clean field except for a few sections of ragweed, but I’m not worried about that management wise.

I was out checking the CRP today and flushed a brood! Walking back to the car and 5 yards from it a hen flushed and only went maybe 30 yards. No youngings went with her so I thought she must have a nest nearby. Well I take another step forward and left and right pop out chicks taking flight as well. A little smaller than a robin I’d say and at least 8 of them all together! They flew great and had no trouble. No idea how old they would be. I’ve been a bit pessimistic on the hatch this year with all the rain, but I’m happy to see a first nest succeed like that!
IMG_6125.jpegIMG_6123.jpeg

Looks awesome! Fun to see the new chicks/ I have stayed away from ours, I need to take a walk and see what I can find. It should have been/is pretty good conditions for them this year.

That is awesome, looks great, keep us posted on the progress.

Are you planning on mowing a few times this year?
Thank ya will do.

Yes, I'm planning on mowing it down a couple of times this year to prevent it from seeding. I have just been using a weed whipper so far. It's been so wet and the ragweed is pretty isolated to one section, I thought a whipper could do the trick instead of the heavy tractor & brush hog. It's such a clean field otherwise that I kind of don't want to mow it all. We'll see what the NRCS guys says about that.

Got in some tractor time the past week mowing the CRP.

Well... I started the first mowing two weeks ago, got one or two acres done and let's just say there might have been some operator error running the tractor/brush hog for the first time :confused: Had to wait over a week for the new part, but the oats and everything else growing did not wait up!

So, I got back to it recently and cut as high as I could but wow, it was tall for a month and 10 days of growth. You can see the oats were starting to seed out, but I don't think there was any viable seed.

All in all it has put on fantastic growth this year. We're getting into the dog days of summer, and I cut a little later than I would've liked, so I probably won't mow again.

Also, it took me a heck of a lot longer than I was expecting. I have a 5 ft brush hog and thought I was going a solid speed. But maybe 5 is a little undersized for larger acres??
tempImage6zD2lu.jpg

Last edited:

Well... I started the first mowing two weeks ago, got one or two acres done and let's just say there might have been some operator error running the tractor/brush hog for the first time :confused: Had to wait over a week for the new part, but the oats and everything else growing did not wait up!

So, I got back to it recently and cut as high as I could but wow, it was tall for a month and 10 days of growth. You can see the oats were starting to seed out, but I don't think there was any viable seed.

All in all it has put on fantastic growth this year. We're getting into the dog days of summer, and I cut a little later than I would've liked, so I probably won't mow again.

Also, it took me a heck of a lot longer than I was expecting. I have a 5 ft brush hog and thought I was going a solid speed. But maybe 5 is a little undersized for larger acres??
View attachment 8439
Looks awesome.. 5 foot is small, but doable if your patient. I believe ours is 7ft.

Did you see any birds while mowing?

View attachment 8439
Good looking field, well done!

Looks awesome.. 5 foot is small, but doable if your patient. I believe ours is 7ft.

Did you see any birds while mowing?
Gotcha, thought it might be.

None while mowing but flushed a chick in another field I'm preparing to frost seed. I don't doubt that the CRP could've held some birds pre-cut. Flushed a couple rabbits. Only minor complaint I have is that I don't love the clean rows from the no-till drill and there are some areas where the tires were that didn't get planted (see bottom left of pic). I might toss some more seed in the bare spots just cause I'm nit-picky, but it'll fill in with time I assume.

Beautiful view tonight on the prairie 😃 Wanted to take good look at the growth this year before the growing season comes to an end shortly.

I noticed that the prairie popped with yellow in August/September with some of the late summer bloomers it seems (black eyed Susan & the sunflowers). There was also natural partridge pea, red and white clover, and blue vervain I spotted that wasn’t planted. All high quality pollinator plants that can finally shine after being sprayed out year after year.

I started this thread as a way to show how a CRP/native grass/forb planting could look & evolve over time. I’ve never done anything of the sort before and wanted to track the results for anyone who’s curious about a planting of their own and for my own sake. They say the first 3 years of a native planting can be described as sleep, creep, and leap. I’d agree that year 1 was mostly a sleep year - the grasses didn’t really show up along with most of the early to mid blooming forbs. Establishing long term roots and not vertical growth was the name of the game. It’ll be interested to see how it really takes shape in these next 2 years.

Fun stuff…After following the CRP this year, I’m already planning the next pollinator project for next spring.
IMG_6656.jpeg
IMG_6657.jpeg

Beautiful view tonight on the prairie 😃 Wanted to take good look at the growth this year before the growing season comes to an end shortly.

I noticed that the prairie popped with yellow in August/September with some of the late summer bloomers it seems (black eyed Susan & the sunflowers). There was also natural partridge pea, red and white clover, and blue vervain I spotted that wasn’t planted. All high quality pollinator plants that can finally shine after being sprayed out year after year.

I started this thread as a way to show how a CRP/native grass/forb planting could look & evolve over time. I’ve never done anything of the sort before and wanted to track the results for anyone who’s curious about a planting of their own and for my own sake. They say the first 3 years of a native planting can be described as sleep, creep, and leap. I’d agree that year 1 was mostly a sleep year - the grasses didn’t really show up along with most of the early to mid blooming forbs. Establishing long term roots and not vertical growth was the name of the game. It’ll be interested to see how it really takes shape in these next 2 years.

Fun stuff…After following the CRP this year, I’m already planning the next pollinator project for next spring.
View attachment 8634
View attachment 8635
That looks as good as any first year seeding that I've seen before. Great structure, doesn't seem to have too many cool season grass nuisances. Awesome stuff. I think you'll have a beautiful stand next year.

Back