Please Help. First SD Trip This Fall

atbrdly

Hello,

I am finally going to be able to travel from Ohio to do some pheasant hunting in South Dakota this fall. This will be my first trip to SD and was wondering if I could get some valuable information. I have my own dog and am looking to do my own hunting unguided. Should I just hit public land? What areas should I go? When is the best time to go? Should I pay and go to a private preserve? Any information, need to knows, do's and don'ts, etc would greatly be appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Adam

Hello,

I am finally going to be able to travel from Ohio to do some pheasant hunting in South Dakota this fall. This will be my first trip to SD and was wondering if I could get some valuable information. I have my own dog and am looking to do my own hunting unguided. Should I just hit public land? What areas should I go? When is the best time to go? Should I pay and go to a private preserve? Any information, need to knows, do's and don'ts, etc would greatly be appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Adam

You may want to post this in the South Dakota forum down below in the states section. It may get more information to you. Perhaps I can move it for you.

Hello,

Thanks!
Adam

Plan to hunt public for a couple days and arrange to have a 1-day trespass-fee hunt set up somewhere, just in case.

I've done it this way before. We did not see a lot of birds on public land, but it was better than KS. We paid a guide 1-day in each of our visits and he provided the sort of SD experience most guys drive up there for ($150/person/day).

Your welcome and welcome to Uph. I bet you get all kinds of advise on your SD hunt. Pull up a chair make yourself comfortable on this sight. lots of great people on here.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
to book a hunt or hunt public land....

I am torn on whether to book a unguided hunt with south dakota wild at pheasant valley or just try and hit public land. Anyone have suggestions?? Thoughts. Keep in mind i am used to flushing 1 or 2 pheasants a hunt if that so anything above that will be great for me! I just hate paying the money when i could hit public land. Is the public land hard to find? few and far between?

atbrdly, Welcome.

You have the dog and you don't mind working at it to see a few birds and get a chance at some roosters. Good start for sure. With that attitude public land after the first week of season should work out well for you. Mid week if possible would be even better.

Nothing wrong, especially for the first trip to hire a guide for a day or two.
I think some other guys will have better advice on areas.

Hey Adam, I was in your shoes last year when my brother and I made our first trip to SD. Thanks to the advice from some good guys on this forum we weren't disappointed. It was my first time hunting wild birds in many years. We use to hunt central Ohio back when there were a few birds there, but let me tell you, what a world of difference going to SD. The thing that amazed me most was where in the world are all the birds when the crops are down...You can see for miles in every direction, not anything like what I was used to growing up in southern Ohio. So the biggest thing we learned was to find the cover. We hunted all public land, put a lot of miles on the truck to find what the birds liked. Look for creek beds and fields next to crops that are down...mornings and late afternoons the birds were coming and going to water seemed to work for us.

I hate to pay to hunt, nothing against those that do but it just doesn't sit right with me. The people that offer that service deserved to be paid for maintaining the habitat and the birds, and the way things are going we may all need to pay to hunt one day (hope I'm dead before it happens).

All in all if you love being out spending time with the dog and don't need to limit every day you can't go wrong...we had a blast and hope you do too!

John

david0311

I am torn on whether to book a unguided hunt with south dakota wild at pheasant valley or just try and hit public land. Anyone have suggestions?? Thoughts. Keep in mind i am used to flushing 1 or 2 pheasants a hunt if that so anything above that will be great for me! I just hate paying the money when i could hit public land. Is the public land hard to find? few and far between?

Questions--

R U coming by yourself? If not size of group

What area do you plan to hunt?

When are you hunting

Or are you open to locations--

Budget?

how experianced --you--your group dogs

Knowing those questions will help us help you--

John,

Thanks so much. I feel the exact same way you do. I am used to the central Ohio/southern ohio hunting which in all terms is terrible!!! thanks again! I think it would be fun driving, seeing the country and finding places to hunt.

Questions--

R U coming by yourself? If not size of group

What area do you plan to hunt?

When are you hunting

Or are you open to locations--

Budget?

how experianced --you--your group dogs

Knowing those questions will help us help you--

It will be only myself and father-in-law so two of us. we are thinking about coming up around first or second week in November. I was thinking about hunting around mitchell, chamberlain, huron, redfield, winner (Somewhere in that region)(thats not set in stone, just from research think it may be the best spots) I am DEFINITELY open to locations. I have been pheasant hunting for about 15 years or so but trust me, nothing like what SD will be. My dog is young but does a great job.

Budget...........not sure....I was planning on trying to pay for my father-in-laws trip since he really is only going to support me although he is an experienced hunter. Fuel will kill us on the trip since to get to mitchell will be ~16 hours.

Any help would be great Thanks again!!

Atbrdly - JRBlu gives some good advice. I was in your exact shoes last year, and a couple of guys on this website helped me tremendously. I live in Wisconsin and am limited to hunting stocked put and take birds. A good day was to flush 1 or 2 birds. My dog(s) aren't the best, but are pretty good. I just always wanted to do a South Dakota trip, but wasn't sure where to begin.

I spent a LOT of time on the SD game dept website. I researched the available reports on pheasants and pheasant hunting, from population estimates to hunter densities and hunter harvest. This gave me an idea at least of where in the State that I'd have my best chance at some birds. Let me also say right up front that a trip like this isn't (shouldn't) be all about bagging birds. Its seeing a new part of the country, of the satisfaction of putting a plan together and figuring it out. Pheasants bagged are a bonus. Back to the SD website, use the mapping technology there and the overhead photographic layering. It will show important things like tree lines, cattail swamps, etc.

Spend a bunch of time just driving around and looking for birds along the road. See what kind of cover they are using. Once of the neatest things I've ever seen was out there last year watching a combine harvest a sunflower field. I have never, not ever, seen so many wild pheasants fly out of a field. I just sat in my truck in awe. It was a sight I'll never forget.

Expect some pressure if hunting just public lands. But don't be afraid to hunt there just because there are or were other hunters there. Concentrate on the edges where public meets private land. Hunt little pieces of cover. I got a nice rooster out of a clump of taller grass the size of a kitchen table last year.

All in all in was a great trip. Do your research! Stop frequently and just enjoy your trip. Other than a particularly memorable rooster that I'm getting mounted, my soveneir for the trip was a real nice pheasant shirt I bought at Cabela's in Mitchell on my way out there.

A lot of a successful trip is in the eye of the beholder. Many people were complaining about a lack of birds. From a guy who hunts hard in Wisconsin, to flush more than a couple of birds a day was GREAT. Those that complain about South Dakota may have had the luck to hunt in glory years, but have never experienced a day of feeling happy and satisfied just getting one bird. I hunted just myself and my single 3 year old Golden Retriever for 3 days. We took home six roosters, and I estimate we flushed around 50 total in that time.

I so much enjoyed my trip last year that I'm coming back again this year. My wife is coming, in part so we can hunt my older dog who didn't get to go last year, but in larger part so she can experience some of thing neat things that I did that words just can't describe.

While there are others from this website that helped me in one way or another, I'd again like to very publicly thank SDJim, Carptom, and Reddog for the help they gave me. You really helped make my short time in South Dakota very memorable. :cheers:

!!!!

Don't pay to hunt private land. If you do your homework and your walking you should get a chance at a limit of roosters each day. It will be up to you and the dog.

Don't pay more than 60.00 a night for a room. (unless you want to) I paid 110.00 a night a few years ago, and booked for the 1st five nights of season. You may not find a room in Huron so to say, but there will be a room somewhere cheaper. Again you have to do your homework. All I needed a room for was a place to shower and get some zzz's. This year we are booked for $55.00 a night the 1st 5 days of season.

Get a room with a freezer!!! Dry ice gets expensive. I saw some guys at one hotel last year that had a drop cord and a chest freezer in the back of their truck. This is an option.

Always, always fill the truck up when you get the chance. You can literally be 100 miles from a gas station. Don't head out in the morning without filling up, or at least have a few gallons in a can in the back of the truck. You might be more disciplined than me. I hunt one area, then look at the map and head out to the next and the next and the next trying to get a limit for me and my dad.

Have fun, visit Wall Drug, Mt. Rushmore, and go west and shoot a prairie chicken or sharptail. You will be glad you did.

Move out of OHIO!!!!!! Go Blue. Hope this helps.:cheers:

I started coming to SD from Ohio several years ago and here is my advice (I still go to SD every year but live in TX now).

1. If you hunt first week expect a lot of people on public land. I would not go first week if I did not have land lined up that was private.
2. If you hunt later in season like mid Nov or even Dec you will have several public places to hunt with little pressure.
3. If you hunt in Nov and Dec you can hunt public while knocking on doors and asking to hunt. Many people later in the season will let you hunt if you have a small group.
4. I used to believe paying was not right for me. After 20 years of hunting IA, SD, IL, KS, NE for birds I have come to meet some great farmers that we pay to hunt. However I look at it as habitat expenses are being covered. If you think a farmer is getting wealthy on 150/day/gun not a chance. Make sure they have good habitat and birds before you decide to pay!
5. The further you are away from the main towns the better the chances of finding farmers to let you hunt private.

Good luck hunting!

James River Drainage

I hunt back home every year and always, ALWAYS, have a chance at a limit. I hunt mid november around Madison and Salem. A lot of WIA areas close to town and the populations there are low, as far as out of state hunters. I only hunt public mostly because why bother asking if I don't need to. Right outside of Madison is a huge WIA area that I deer and pheasant hunt. Within 30 miles of madison is more than a man could walk in a day and plenty of birds.

i & all others now know wear to point our trucks this season when heading to sd thanks reifer any more hot spots to offer up???

Last edited:
Listen, if you want to go and support the local community, then so be it. I'm from SD and most of those small towns survive on your dollars. Feel free to hit them up. In fact please do. In years when ranch land suffers due to drought, SE SD stays well irrigated, lush and green. Just wait for the crops to get harvested. There's no honey holes in SD for pheasants. I've hunted there my entire life.

i & all others now know wear to point our trucks this season when heading to sd thanks reifer any more hot spots to offer up???

LOL. Maybe not. Now it may be too crowded over there:rolleyes:

Anyway, I don't think he has too much to worry about (not that he seems too concerned), when it comes to SD most of the state is a hot spot/honey hole for pheasants:). I think to get out of the pheasant belt one has to put some effort into it:D.

i agree 1pheas with the amount of birds in sd no need to name 1 area as the spot naming a county i can see...

i will do that for sure reifer trust me its a close enough drive from mn ill give it a go... se sd u can keep not many sloughs and wetlands in extreme se till u get close to the mo then u have bigger towns to close not my cup of tea...

Back