Pike Run WPRA closed

Some may call it a failure but myself and others involved in the program think differently. At the very least Pike Run and the Tri County Chapter were pioneers in this current ongoing effort to reestablish wild pheasants. This whole project would not have been possible if it wasn't for them and all of the valuable information everyone learned from their experiences. I applaud the move to keep the area male only hunting and hope it will stay that way. Let us not forget that there is a wild pheasant population in the area..the focus area where densities numbers were measured fell short of the target number but it is known that birds expanded outside of the focus area. Far from a failure in my mind.

We have to remember that area of the state was never Class A pheasant range, that being said there are now wild pheasants in that area thanks to their efforts! Like Dan said, we owe everything to those guys. Without those guys none of the rest would have happened. Thank You!

Sad to see this end especially with making the decision after 2 consecutive heavy snow covered winters. Hopefully more local landowners will try to keep more of their land growing grasses and shrubs with upland bird friendly winter cover.

Back