Picked up the chicks

Ya see, spring is the best time. Not winter. 100% healthy, bugs, greens and cover every where. Thats when to do it the best. I have let a bunch go in the winter after season closes, but then have to feed them all winter. Then they do fine. But adult spring birds basicly have it made. I would let them go in the first of April or at green up.:thumbsup: Letting them go in a drout whe they have not found the way around for water is not good either. Thats why spring is great, or winter with feeding. Then they can survive the tougher times.

Last edited:
Totally read your title differently: I thought you were bragging about your social life. I expected to get some tips from one of our esteemed moderators on the fine art of courtin and this is what I find? Oh well, congratulations and let us know if you want any help thinning the flock, eh? ;)

The chicks I picked up are 13 weeks old now and are coming along well. Here is a picture of one of the roosters:
IMG_20120731_074733.jpg

I think it is giant ragweed. It keeps coming back year after year no matter what I do. I stopped fighting it since the birds seem to like it and I don't have plant it each year.

I think it is giant ragweed. It keeps coming back year after year no matter what I do. I stopped fighting it since the birds seem to like it and I don't have plant it each year.

It is likely Amaranth (food version of pigweed). Sort of hard to tell from the photo though.

I am taking a stab at quail chicks this year. I have had them for almost 2 weeks and lost four out of the 77 original ones. Guess I am doing ok. The little buggers are already starting to fly around the pen pretty good! I am quiting Homers, so I am modifying my pigeon coop to work as a Johnny house. We'll see how it goes. Best of luck to you guys!

Cockerfan, excuse my ignorance (living way down here in the South Pacific we dont always know what's what:D) but what is a Johnny house:eek::eek:

Beautiful looking bird, let's hope there's no freak October snowstorm!

Things went well with the birds this year and all have been released. The season is over in this part of PA but some birds still remain. One rooster must have liked the pen because he keeps coming back and going inside since the net was taken off. Here he is:

IMG_20121201_112448.jpg

I thought it was funny to see him come back.

Very nice birds! I like these dark birds, they look much like wild birds around here just with a wider ring.

If he likes it that much, maybe you should keep him as a pet! lol.

How did everybody do with the chicks they raised? All the ones I raised were released before Thanksgiving and I'm still finding some. One point from the dogs produced six hens a week or so again. Pheasant season is over here but at least the dogs can still get some work.

Back