Philip Area

Dakotazeb

I have never hunt pheasants west river in South Dakota. My grandson has a semi-final football game next Friday in Philip. I'm seriously thinking of going to the game so I thought if I drive that far maybe I'd bring the dog and do a little pheasant hunting. Are there any public areas in the Philip area worthwhile? I see on the Hunting Atlas there are some large walk-in area north of Philip. Of course I could also stop someplace along the way and hunt also.

I drive that route a couple times a year on my way to go help at the land I deer hunt. The walk in on the east side of 73 usually has some birds around the tree belts. Not sure how a guy would go about getting close to them though. Haven't driven back in to see if there might be some more cover back in there. Usually always see birds along the road from Philip up to 34 too. Not too sure how the winter treated them this last year.

For several years I've hunted the Hays area w/good to great success. I think you will be surprised how much hard grain is grown there. Also, lots of walk in areas and Grouse are available. You won't be disappointed if you hunt that area.

I used to hunt about 50 miles straight S of there every year. Its been over 20 yrs, but there were tons of grouse & many yrs you could shoot your limit of phez

I know...I know S.D. is full of birds... Best Phez hunting in the world...Was in a bar/restaurant yesterday. Overheard the word Chamberland, then pheasant and went on high alert. I caught enough to figure out the guy just got back from a pheasant hunt. I went over and apologized for eavesdropping and asked some questions. He said the motels within driving distance from where they were hunting were completely booked the 1st week. So, they had to wait until the second week. Said there were hunters everywhere. 10 guys, just in their group, limited out every day. 400.00 a day per. Most of them were 1st timers, so you know they had lots of opportunities. I didn't have the heart to tell him that he was probably shooting pen raised birds. My buddy talked to our best contact in south/central Iowa. He said it was dismal there. What was left of the C.R.P. was emergency cut. I think I'll just shoot a butt load of pen raised birds here. Then when the dogs and I get in shape, head west looking for some quail!!

I know...I know S.D. is full of birds... Best Phez hunting in the world...Was in a bar/restaurant yesterday. Overheard the word Chamberland, then pheasant and went on high alert. I caught enough to figure out the guy just got back from a pheasant hunt. I went over and apologized for eavesdropping and asked some questions. He said the motels within driving distance from where they were hunting were completely booked the 1st week. So, they had to wait until the second week. Said there were hunters everywhere. 10 guys, just in their group, limited out every day. 400.00 a day per. Most of them were 1st timers, so you know they had lots of opportunities. I didn't have the heart to tell him that he was probably shooting pen raised birds. My buddy talked to our best contact in south/central Iowa. He said it was dismal there. What was left of the C.R.P. was emergency cut. I think I'll just shoot a butt load of pen raised birds here. Then when the dogs and I get in shape, head west looking for some quail!!
I ran into some guy from Cincinnati at a bar in eastern montana the other day. He was all duded up with his Filson gear.He was pumped because he shot 3 roosters.I didn't ask him how much he paid to get on the land.Im sure he paid to hunt.Thumbs down.

Change of plans. I'm still going to Philip for my grandson's football game Friday night, but I'll be taking my daughter with me. So no hunting on this trip. Just a father/daughter trip. Need those once in awhile too!

Back