Phes & Waterfowl opportunities around Hays

GSP3

We're making our first pilgrimage to KS after hunting for many years in IA and spending one miserable week in SD last year (blizzard greeted us and blizzard kicked us out!) We are staying in Hays and aren't averse to driving. I would appreciate any info on best direction to head for pheasants and if anyone knows of walk in areas to mix in some waterfowl. Thanks!

I would venture to guess that most of the waterfowling opportunities in W KS are limited to lakes/rivers. There just isn't much water out there. Cedar Bluff Res isn't too far from Hays. I couldn't tell ya anything about the duck hunting there. There are plenty of pheasants around Hays usually.

GSP3- I would recommend staying in Great bend kansas if your going to waterfowl and pheasant hunt. The best duck hunting in the state is located there (cheyenne bottoms) holds a ton of ducks and is a huge marsh area with a lot of great waterfowl hunting. The pheasant hunting isn't bad in that area as well. There just isn't to much duck hunting around hays due to dry conditions and no good refuges.

Kansas Cowboy is right, if you are looking for a waterfowl and pheasant hunt Great Bend is probable the best place to go. Also, Quevera wildlife refuge is just down the road.

If your are staying in hays you can go about 25 miles northwest to webster lake. It completely full with stick ups and plenty of places to hunt ducks and geese. If you go a little further west towards hill city there are plenty of pheasants and walk-in hunting areas. Good area for both waterfowl and pheasants. There are also quite of few quail around webster.

My first trip to KS was last season, and I'm going back again this year. We hunted WIHAs near Wakeeney and Hill City, with good success. We waterfowl hunted in Cedar Bluff and it was excellent. However, I hear that Cheynne Bottoms is better. I would say if you are not afraid to drive Hays is fine, but you will loose hunting time driving. Great Bend would put you closer to ground zero in my limited experience. I never made it to GB, but Hays is the only area I would call a city near I-70 (if you need conveniences). I drove through Webster, but wasn't nearly as impressed with the waterfowl action as I was in Cedar Bluffs. Again this is based on my first and only trip to KS, with six days of hunting and 1,000 miles on the truck just in hunting mileage.

The bottom line is you won't go wrong in either area. Your waterfowl hunting will be over in two days b/c you will have maxed out your possession limit. Focus more on upland, with waterfowl opportunities within driving distance.

I agree that Cheyenne Bottoms provides the best waterfowling opportunities in W KS. However, if you're staying in Hays, the drive (as Chocolate head mentioned) is too far. Do you want better pheasant hunting or better waterfowling? Indicate your priority in terms of species and I think you'll get the answer you're looking for.

Cheyenne Bottoms would be the best bet for waterfowl, maybe in the state. It would be accessible and huntable if you did a little scouting and asking around. Sometimes of the year it is a duck haven.

Thanks for all the info. This gives me a much better idea of what to expect. Best of luck for the '09/'10 season!

Waterfowl hunting north of Hays about an hour would be Webster reservour. I have never hunted it but when I stay in Stockton there are always waterfowl hunters there and they say thats where they go to hunt. Call the webster Ks field office and ask them what part of the lake to hunt or they may have flooded areas to hunt.

Zeepo

Back