Pheasant jerky

Madison COunty

When I was in high school I worked at a local meat locker that made turkey jerky. Does anyone make pheasant jerky?

If you do, what recipe do you use? It sounds delicious but I'm just not sure how to make it!

Teriyaki goes well with pheasant. I always marinade it for a few days than dehydrate.

When I was in high school I worked at a local meat locker that made turkey jerky. Does anyone make pheasant jerky?

If you do, what recipe do you use? It sounds delicious but I'm just not sure how to make it!

Definately a way to clear the freeezer out..
Ingredients

1 1/2 to 2 pounds Pheasant
2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Directions

Trim the pheasant of all fat and bone, place the meat in a zip-lock bag, and freeze for 1 hour in order to firm up.

Remove from the freezer and thinly slice the meat with the grain, into long strips. The thinner the strips the better.

Place the strips of meat along with all of the remaining ingredients into a large, 1-gallon plastic zip-lock bag and move around to evenly distribute all of the ingredients. Place the bag into the refrigerator for 3 to 6 hours.

Remove the meat from the brine and pat dry. Evenly distribute the strips of meat onto sheet pans 3 and place in the oven at the lowest setting until dry.

Once dry, store in a cool dry place, in an airtight container for 2 to 3 months.

just made some last night. I winged the recipe and it turned out alright. I need to tweak it to bring out some more flavors, but it works right now.

This is what I did with some sharptail breasts a few years ago and I should be even better with pheasant.

I ground the breast meat in a meat grinder into a burger like consistency. I then used the same jerky mix I buy when using ground beef or venison. Used my Jerky Shooter to make the strips and put it in my dehydrator. I actually turned out quite well.

I can't wait to make some pheasant jerky....I just need some pheasant now.:D. I ordered a high mountain jerky cutting board with knife set from cabelas tonight. It keeps the slices consistent with either 1/4" or 3/16" slices, I hope it works! Has anyone used the high mountain jerky seasonings?

Hi mountain is probally the best commercial seasoning out there. I usually make pheasant into ground jerky( kids like ground the best cause it is tender). Pheasant makes great jerky!!! Haven't had a chance to make it last couple of yrs since numbers are so down. The jerky slicer works great just watch you fingers!

Back