Pheasant Hunting not shooting

SDJIM

Today I was reminded that it is Pheasant HUNTING not pheasant shooting. Hunting was tough as although we saw a lot of birds but the roosters were hiding or flushing wild. Still it was a great day of fellowship and some great dog work ( a good dog can sure make one look good).:thumbsup:

I will try to remind myself of that same thing on Nov 2,3,4 and 5....if nothing else it will make us appreicate those years where the birds were like mosquitos.

Jim,

Your so right! I have had to remind my young hunters (12 and 15) many times "that's why they call it hunting". When they get to a point where there is no action for longer than an hour or so they start to whine! Seems they're spoiled with the dogs.

When I tell them stories of the days when I was a young man with no dog in the Anamosa, Iowa area they just look at me with puzzled faces. "Why would you hunt without a dog?' There are times I can only shake my head.

I think I should take them out, send them into a field, tell them "it's full of pheasants, you should have your limit in no time." Then tell them "OH...by the way, the dog is staying with me....see ya soon."

How do you suppose that will go? Maybe a lesson learned for them.

Ric

Back