Pheasant hunting north west Wisconsin

I'm in Fond du Lac County......I've stomped Eldorado Marsh, Mullet Marsh, Sheboygan Marsh, Theresa Marsh and Horicon Marsh for ducks and pheasants over the last 20 years.
Ups and downs for both on each of those marshes over the years. There is alot of potential, but not much management in the right direction, in my opinion. Horicon Marsh has been a shell of itself recently for the waterfowl factory it has been, even for birds using the refuge portion of it.
The pheasants for those properties are mostly planted. Some do make it and have been successful at reproduction or relocation, but habitat is the issue for sustainability of any population in numbers. It's just not a priority on anyone's radar.
I harvest enough of each typically, but this year and last year were tough for both. The properties have and are changing, got to be adaptive to be successful, and the pressure from others has increased significantly too.
One of my WI properties abuts Theresa Marsh. The state has planted birds there for decades. I know I have killed quite a few hat were planted and pushed onto my property along with innumerable trespassers who couldn't see the multitude of signs that say "PRIVATE PROPERTY". Nearly every time I go there or review any of the game cams we have hidden, all I see are criminals.

One of my WI properties abuts Theresa Marsh. The state has planted birds there for decades. I know I have killed quite a few hat were planted and pushed onto my property along with innumerable trespassers who couldn't see the multitude of signs that say "PRIVATE PROPERTY". Nearly every time I go there or review any of the game cams we have hidden, all I see are criminals.
I can only imagine......its unfortunate that a "sportsman" can't respect boundaries and private land owners have to deal with trespassing.
Throw that in with some of the behaviors some "sportsmen" exhibit on public land......leaves me shaking my head.

I can only imagine......its unfortunate that a "sportsman" can't respect boundaries and private land owners have to deal with trespassing.
Throw that in with some of the behaviors some "sportsmen" exhibit on public land......leaves me shaking my head.
It's a tremendous hunting property which I think entices hunters/neighbors to sneak around. The neighbors are actually the worst. Not only do they trespass/poach they also dump their refuse, dead animals and what not on my land.

Also showed up one time in early fall and notice a atv racetrack running through a 150 acre field of corn. The little bastages actually ran over the corn, and ran a track that had to be well over 1 mile long with all sorts of twists and turns. My farmer tenant was not too pleased. he asked me if I did it. I said follow the tracks and you will see who. It was two different neighbors.

I'm sure it happens everywhere, but for some reason I always hear about bad trespassing in Wisconsin.
I've got a methhead/UFK type fighter guy down the road. Shot a 14pt buck on my land from his truck. Someone saw him. CO did a little investigation and the dummass ejected his spent casing right where the witness told him the shot was fired from.

He went to investigate (the place is a dump as you might expect) and noticed a doe laying under a car parked next to the barn. Goes in barn and sees dummass skinning a big buck (now headless). Chats him up, asks where he shot it and with what. He lied about the where but not the gun. CO shows him the shell casing and tells him where he found it and saw the drag marks to the road. Asks him if he wants to admit now or wait until he does the testing on gun and casing?

BTW, where the head? Already at the taxidermist!

Back