Pheasant Fact Friday - PF FB Repost

If I could find crushed limestone near me, I would buy a 1000 pounds to supplement the hens, just to make it easier for them.
I’m thinking they would get some calcium from farmers spreading lime. Maybe an ag lime pile would work? Idk…spitballing

I’m thinking they would get some calcium from farmers spreading lime. Maybe an ag lime pile would work? Idk…spitballing
That is possible, I just never thought that, as it is such a fine powder. I just assumed they found enough in our road gravel. A good idea, I might explore that.

View attachment 8106
This is why we should consider only burning 1/3 of a parcel a year, you need to leave some old grass that the hens can nest under. Happy nesting ladies!
We abide by the 1/3 rule on our property. Takes a bit more work on the burning, but well worth it IMO. I think everything with habitat comes down to diversity, and having 3 sections of a field that are perpetually in 3 different stages of succession can only help with nests initiation, survival, and ultimately poult recruitment into the Fall IMO. Good stuff.

Back