Pheasant breakfast sausage, round 1.

I've been wanting to do this for the last few years but I'm too cheap to buy a grinder. Luckily my parents just moved back and their grinder happened to bump into my freezer full of pheasant. 8lbs of mostly thigh meat(a couple breasts leftover from last year), 2lbs of smoked bacon, fresh ground pepper, fennel, sage, oregano, sea salt, onions, garlic, and portobello mushrooms. I cooked up a small partty and it was fantastic! The sage and fennel was mild and not overpowering like pork breakfast sausage can be. The sausage was not too fatty, but still moist, probably from the carmelized onions and mushrooms. I probably should have paid more attention to the portions of the ingredients as I cooked so I can repeat the recipe but oh well,its more fun to wing it anyway. If anybody wants to give it a shot I used hank shaw's pheasant sausage recipe as a rough guide, good luck.

Attachments

• 20201211_221135.jpg
    20201211_221135.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
I've been wanting to do this for the last few years but I'm too cheap to buy a grinder. Luckily my parents just moved back and their grinder happened to bump into my freezer full of pheasant. 8lbs of mostly thigh meat(a couple breasts leftover from last year), 2lbs of smoked bacon, fresh ground pepper, fennel, sage, oregano, sea salt, onions, garlic, and portobello mushrooms. I cooked up a small partty and it was fantastic! The sage and fennel was mild and not overpowering like pork breakfast sausage can be. The sausage was not too fatty, but still moist, probably from the carmelized onions and mushrooms. I probably should have paid more attention to the portions of the ingredients as I cooked so I can repeat the recipe but oh well,its more fun to wing it anyway. If anybody wants to give it a shot I used hank shaw's pheasant sausage recipe as a rough guide, good luck.
I'm not a big breakfast guy, but I sure would give this a try...

Pheasant leg meat makes all kinds of good sausage. I do the bacon add like you do. After cutting off the meat, roast the legs and make broth. After the broth is made the calf meat comes of the tendons pretty easily and can be used for tacos, enchiladas, chili...whatever.

Pheasant leg meat makes all kinds of good sausage. I do the bacon add like you do. After cutting off the meat, roast the legs and make broth. After the broth is made the calf meat comes of the tendons pretty easily and can be used for tacos, enchiladas, chili...whatever.
I've been taking the drumsticks with the thigh bone still attached and cooking them down in chicken stock with veggies. The ultimate product is pheasant noodle soup and its great! Pulling all the tendons out of the leg meat kinda sucks, good beer helps.

Told Toni about this thread. Had to cover a shift for one of my guys out on Covid quarantine yesterday and when I got home last night, she surprised me with pheasant sausage and hash browns. Her version was spicy, more like chorizo than standard breakfast sausage. Man, it was good!

Made a batch of sausage with this weekend's birds. mixed equal parts of pheasant with bacon ends and pieces. Acquired a breakfast sausage spice mixture from a local butcher shop and added fresh chopped onion and garlic to the spice mix. Checked meat very carefully for shot (I'm definitely buying a shot detector for future use). First grind was coarse plate then I mixed my spices and onion/garlic. Grind again on fine plate. It turned out excellent. Will absolutely make it again.

As a side note, On x has changed hunting so much. I sat down withe the computer Friday night and picked two public hunting areas I had never seen before simply by looking at aerials and rolling the dice on what looked like good cover. Both Saturday and Sunday were easy limits on new to me hunting grounds.

Back