PF The Flush program issue

termo

I viewed "The Flush" today, which had the cast of the program on a tour of Montana and North Dakota. These folks were filming and hunting various sites and posting the hunts on the web, including mentioning by name some of the areas hunted. Maybe I'm a social media dinosaur, but am I the only one who isn't real keen on telling the whole world about hunting areas? Has the "I wanna be a celebrity" thing completely taken the place of wanting to keep your cherished hunting spots from the masses? Maybe I should just be glad I've been
fortunate enough to hunt Montana for the last thirtysome years - most of it prior to today's culture.

I think the purpose of that episode was to promote pheasant hunting on public land. Normally you wouldn't want to advertise your honey holes, but in this case I think they were actually trying to drum up business instead of keep the spots a secret.

On the flip side, it looked like they walked all day for their birds, which is way too much work for lazy internet/tv scouts. :laugh:

I liked that episode much better than the ones where they go to joe's bird farm and blast away on the pen birds. :cheers:

I think the purpose of that episode was to promote pheasant hunting on public land. Normally you wouldn't want to advertise your honey holes, but in this case I think they were actually trying to drum up business instead of keep the spots a secret.

On the flip side, it looked like they walked all day for their birds, which is way too much work for lazy internet/tv scouts. :laugh:

I liked that episode much better than the ones where they go to joe's bird farm and blast away on the pen birds. :cheers:

I agree that this episode's purpose was to promote public and BMA (which, by the way, is not public land) upland hunting. I also agree with the "drum up business" purpose. PF does really good work and I in no way want to detract from that work - I am a member.
That being said, I still question the need to advertise hunting areas over the airwaves and the world wide web. All PF properties and habitat projects in Montana get plenty of hunting pressure. As do most quality BMA's.
Does widespread public announcement of these areas lead to the enhancement or the detraction of the experience folks have on these places?
My experience indicates the latter.
Either way, PF does and will continue to do good work, I only hope they think about this issue a bit..... As a member, I have contacted them with my concerns.
I hope some folks on here maybe give this some thought......

Bringing People Under the Tent

I have no issue with the episode. Our sport needs more people participating and a big barrier to entry is often knowing where to hunt. If this episode gets more people out there I'm all for it.

Who cares if they throw out a few spots.... there are hundreds more.

I have no issue with the episode. Our sport needs more people participating and a big barrier to entry is often knowing where to hunt. If this episode gets more people out there I'm all for it.

Who cares if they throw out a few spots.... there are hundreds more.

I agree with this. The way things work now there does not seem to be secret spots anymore anyway. Places that are difficult to hunt will weed out most people anyway.

Hunting the Corps of Eng. and along the Mo. River - amazing! Have always been curious about how one hunts this land. Obviously a boat is helpful!

I've walked the river at Mobridge and it's difficult going, but there's birds to be had.

The various "Flush" pieces were well done...

I always figure if the spot was worth a damn they would not show it on TV that nd hunt is what I experienced In ND lots of walking not many birds like mentioned above BMA & plots wiha really are not public there private leased lands most time they only good for making the farmer $$$

I seen guys on Dakota sportsmen name town & actually draw a map on TV show of wear they were hunting on GPA along I-90 I'm old school when it come to public land spots let guys find em them self guys still feel need to brag & name exact WMA GPA etc same guys commonly have private lands to fall back on & hunt or won't be back to Montana or NO DAK so why not out a spot & help a guy??? Cuz all us other guys on line can see your post??? Why not pm that info???

Last edited:
I agree with this. The way things work now there does not seem to be secret spots anymore anyway. Places that are difficult to hunt will weed out most people anyway.

Yes sir there are good public land spots out there once u put the time I'm to find em most are not hunted as much as other spots due to size to big or small not enuff other public land close aka to far between spots to drive to or in bad game & fish count area of SD etc. Or just to nasty for other to want to hunt if they name it on TV skip lots of other guys know about it loose lips bad trait to have... Do homework u will find spots...

I did think being as specific as they were was a little much...but they do it all the time. I'm sure those towns wanted the publicity. It didn't seem like they hunted that much or did that well for it being a long road trip. Maybe they had a lot of unfruitful walks. I don't think they will cause a stampede to those areas this time.

It was better then the pen raised shoots with high priced outfitters a lot of other shows do. Sometimes the dog work is even sort of OK on it. Better then it usually is on that Gun Dog show that should have excellent dogs. If I hear someone say "Excellent retrieve" again when they have to walk to the dog that is mouthing the bird on the ground I'll go nuts.

Tim

Back