PF Goes Pen-Reared....Again!!

A5 Sweet 16

Remy will love this, as it has been recently discussed in the "How many shells?" thread.

The latest PF Journal contains a great big article on habitat for wild pheasants, a good article adamant that stocking flare nares does nothing to benefit a wild pheasant population, & a good article adamant that killing predators (if there's truly adequate habitat) doesn't increase wild pheasant numbers. Then they have this little one that starts by mentioning how amazing wild pheasants are in their ability to benefit from good habitat. And they used a damn flare nare in the picture!!

The biggest pheasant organization in the word, dedicated to habitat for WILDlife, & who does more in an effort to benefit wild pheasants than any group on the planet, should NOT use pen reared birds in their Journal. It's disingenuous, lacking integrity, & stupid.

20240310_200432.jpg

I'm looking for the clown emoji, but can't find it. It is frustrating to see PF time and time again fall back upon pen raised pheasants, whether it be for their magazine, calendars, or their youth hunts. Nothing like teaching kids that hunting is about killing and shouldn't be that hard.

I'm looking for the clown emoji, but can't find it. It is frustrating to see PF time and time again fall back upon pen raised pheasants, whether it be for their magazine, calendars, or their youth hunts. Nothing like teaching kids that hunting is about killing and shouldn't be that hard.
Right? Success isn't what hooks a kid (or anyone) into hunting or fishing. It's all the other stuff. In my opinion. Maybe I'm an oddball, but I had VERY little success pheasant hunting as a kid. Several years of it. We had low bird numbers in our area. Had no dog. I couldn't shoot. And Dad didn't have a lot of free time to hunt. Yet I still loved it more than anyone I knew.

Counter point. Good wild photos cost more than pen raised. And that eats into the budget which can be spent on other things. I bet 99% of people never notice the difference and thus doesn't actually matter. Although I still find it funny so keep posting when they show up.

Counter point. Good wild photos cost more than pen raised. And that eats into the budget which can be spent on other things. I bet 99% of people never notice the difference and thus doesn't actually matter. Although I still find it funny so keep posting when they show up.
Correct on both counts. I consider it a matter of integrity; not whether some member who shoots at a preserve twice a year (& probably doesn't know the difference) will notice or care. An organization with $75M annual revenue can spend a few thousand extra on quality photos of wild birds. They have my permission to shift the funds from grabassery to photography. Take the $ from government lobbying.

I am thinking that PF could simply ask Members for photographs of wild Pheasants they may have and permission to use it in their ads? Maybe give a shout out and free hat if it's used?

Right? Success isn't what hooks a kid (or anyone) into hunting or fishing. It's all the other stuff. In my opinion. Maybe I'm an oddball, but I had VERY little success pheasant hunting as a kid. Several years of it. We had low bird numbers in our area. Had no dog. I couldn't shoot. And Dad didn't have a lot of free time to hunt. Yet I still loved it more than anyone I knew.

Im going to guess that is the extreme minority these days. All the kids ive been around recently want to kill a bunch of birds or start shooting corn cobs otherwise its no fun and they want to go home. They can just play video games where they get the instant success

I was the same as you

I am thinking that PF could simply ask Members for photographs of wild Pheasants they may have and permission to use it in their ads? Maybe give a shout out and free hat if it's used?

They purchase the photos from photographers, there is a minimum quality requirement to be used in print and most hunters dont have that quality of equipment. The picture in question, i would say it was probably taken with say a 600m prime lens on a full frame mirrorless camera, they want at least 30mp after cropping these days. Most of us dont carry a $5,000 camera in the field.

But if you do have that quality, you simply contact them and get on a list. They send a request for specific photos, such as "we need a rooster pheasant on the ground in grass, looking to the right" and photographers will reply with sample pics. They choose one and purchase it for a one time or multiple time use.

I'd be totally fine with this, IF they put a little asterisk on the page and the footnote read, "due to the extreme elusiveness and secretive nature of wild rooster pheasants, they are very difficult to capture on camera in high quality images. In this case we have used a photo from a scratch bird at a game farm. This is only a likeness and representation of what a wild rooster looks like, although not the real thing in flesh nor feather."

I'd be totally fine with this, IF they put a little asterisk on the page and the footnote read, "due to the extreme elusiveness and secretive nature of wild rooster pheasants, they are very difficult to capture on camera in high quality images. In this case we have used a photo from a scratch bird at a game farm. This is only a likeness and representation of what a wild rooster looks like, although not the real thing in flesh nor feather."

Bahahahaha! 🤣🤣🤣 Not perfect, but maybe as good as can be hoped for if they won't use wild birds. And also very funny!

Bahahahaha! 🤣🤣🤣 Not perfet, but maybe as good as can be hoped for if they won't use wild birds. And also very funny!
or how about "Due to the rarity of wild pheasants, we are forced to illustrate our stories with photos of pen-raised examples."

Last edited:
A5, maybe you should contact PF and let them know what you have found, keep a running total of things you find unacceptable in their magazine and website. You could expound on how it diminishes the organization and their goals. Maybe they will take your concerns to heart and stop publishing these offensive photos and maybe compensate you for your traumatic experience with them. If it weren't for you, I wouldn't even notice the hole from the blinders, I think we all enjoy your over zealous fascination with farm raised birds. Keep up the great work finding these.

A5, maybe you should contact PF and let them know what you have found, keep a running total of things you find unacceptable in their magazine and website. You could expound on how it diminishes the organization and their goals. Maybe they will take your concerns to heart and stop publishing these offensive photos and maybe compensate you for your traumatic experience with them. If it weren't for you, I wouldn't even notice the hole from the blinders, I think we all enjoy your over zealous fascination with farm raised birds. Keep up the great work finding these.
Thanks for the encouragement, remy. And great idea about trying to get some compensation from PF, because clearly you're right. They owe me! I'll have my attorney send a letter.

Back