Parker's first wild bird hunt

PairOfLabs

This is a little late but I wanted to thank the folks around Mitchell, SD for their hospitality. My 9 mo. old yellow pointing lab pup, Parker, and I joined 6 friends for a 4 day pheasant hunt covering the weekend of Oct. 29. We stayed in Mitchell and hunted a combination of private land, WIA, game production plots, and roadsides. Parker did just fine and he retrieved his first SD bird out of 6 ft cattails. He wasn't a very quick study on barbed wire however so we had to make a credit card contribution to Lakeview Veterinary Clinic for 5 stiches (thanks for staying open past closing hours).

Here's a pic of Parker back home in his stiches protective T-shirt and "BiteNot" collar showing off his toy hogging skills.

Thanks again South Dakota.
PairOfLabs
Parker-10-2011010web.jpg

Great pic and story! When someone asks me "What is the best thing I can do for a young bird dog?" I reply " Move to South Dakota!" Which is what I've just done. So long, Wisconsin!:cheers:

Parker

Oh, the memories! My first bird dog, a pointer/setter cross, given to me to get it out from under my in-law's front porch in Lowcountry South Carolina. I was a grad. student, no money or time to train her, but Daisy was a natural. Plenty of wild quail back then; four or five coveys a decent day. One Thanksgiving down there she cleared most of a barbed wire fence, and laid open her entire flank. Brown's Veterinary spent an hour putting in steel stitches to hold it together; I put her in her bed to recover and went back to the field with my brother-in-law and his pointer. A week later Daisy was hunting again, and did so till she was 17...I would give a great deal for it to be 1967 again.
Beach004

Back