Overall season bird numbers

Hockeybob

Now that the season is over, would you say your area had more, less or same amount of birds?
We hunted NC part of state private ground end of October.
I would say birds were up a little in our area despite lots of
corn still standing.

Last edited:
Up somewhat….I hunted many areas that I hunt every year, gives some indication of #’s. Not a dramatic increase, but an increase. I was there as recently as Saturday….started on opener, was there about 30 days throughout the season. On this last hunt we hunted 2 spots that had 300+ birds in relatively small areas…slough and cedar tree belt….impressive sight!

Something to think about...with all the habitat lost due to drought/haying are there really more birds or are the same number in condensed areas?

I didn't spend as much time in SD as I usually do.....2 trips instead of the usual 3. But from what I saw, numbers were up. Not sure how much, but it was noticeable. Spent some time in a totally new area to me, but I did also spend some days in the exact same area that I've been hunting for the past 9 years.

hunted some new areas but out of our 15 days of hunting probably 11-12 were on ground we have hunted the previous years. In a roughly 30 mile east to west and 100 miles north to south I would say numbers were up 20-30%. There was one area that the landowner said were down and our boots on the ground along with report from others would agree with that. From what we saw that ended up being relatively small exception though.

So I disagree with #'s being up. I am fortunate to have access to premium private ground and am very familiar with the better public areas and how to navigate them. 3 years ago bird #'s were way up. Last year #'s were about the same. We most definitely lost birds to the winter. Nesting must have been very good but just not good enough to reach the previous #.

The #'s are still quite good maybe on par with 4 or 5 years ago.

Mainly hunt Edmonds County area on private ground. I'd say numbers were same as last year. A little hard to tell. It was so dry in 2022, anywhere I knew there was water I could go right to and find birds. They were definitely spread out more this fall. Hopefully conditions will be conducive for a good hatch this spring and summer.

Tough to say really when I only hunt 5 to 10 days a year in SD. I would say they are about the same as last year. I mainly hunt by myself and regardless of the year it is not hard to kill or have shots at 3 bird. I hunt mainly public and some private, I will say this year didn't hunt a parcel that didn't offer multiple shots at roosters. Down years in SD are still way better any other state in my opinion.

Blinding flash of the obvious, but #’s vary in a large state like SD. I’ve been hunting my areas for 31 seasons…been awhile since I’ve seen late season #’s like I have in the past month or so. But I recall, vividly, phone calls from several farmers last March/April who were incredulous at the bird #’s…as in, lots of birds. I visited in early May, mid June, and mid July…saw lots of birds around 5/1, prior to nesting. My food plots were planted 6/2, and we got decent rains every 5-7 days for about 5 weeks, then it quit raining…I think chicks were well served by that rainfall pattern, unless they were born later, but hopefully there were insects for them in July. I expect areas 5, 10 miles away could have had a different outcome, depending on weather…rain was very spotty…areas 10 miles away did 200 bushel corn, many fields in my area did 70, 80….like I said earlier, I’d say most of my areas were up somewhat, not 40, 60, 80%….but having said that, a decent chunk of SW MN was up over 100% based on roadside counts. Not sure what NW IA showed? Think ND had some decent increases as well, despite being clobbered with harsh winter weather. All I know for sure is I’m not speaking for anything other than about a 6 square mile area of SD….

Just reread the ND brood counts, total pheasants counted were up 61%, and # of broods counted were up 70%. Released 9/11/23. They acknowledged that conditions were optimal for the roadside counts, but overall data corroborated the higher #’s. Obviously, some areas much better than others…true in all states. I think great nesting conditions are a strong antidote to a harsh winter.

Obviously, some areas much better than others…true in all states. I think great nesting conditions are a strong antidote to a harsh winter.

Unfortunately there's no more roadside counts in SD anymore so we have no more historical data points to compare. They were afraid of "marketing" poor estimates and losing non-resident hunters.

The area I hunt in central MN was up from last season based on my scouting, success hunting, and how many I saw in November and December. The roadside count said it was down a whopping 66% and in the worst classification possible "very poor." Anecdotal evidence from my boots on the ground suggests otherwise.

I always say to take the roadside counts with a grain of salt. You're better off looking, scouting, and walking to see what the real numbers are. I think there are a lot of casual hunters out there that do use the roadside counts as a starting point in whether they will buy a license, and how long they will hunt when the season is open (based on the weather). A lot of those guys hunted all season which would explain the heavier hunting pressure on public land many here complained about.

Just perused Iowa’s roadside count, highest in 8 years. NW was up 26%. ND showed increases, MN did, so did Iowa…why couldn’t areas in SD? I believe there were increases, decreases, and not much change…depending on location. Like every year. If I recall, 2017 was a pretty bad drought year…for some reason, in one of my areas, #’s were really strong…must have been aberrant weather in a small area.

Last edited:
Unfortunately there's no more roadside counts in SD anymore so we have no more historical data points to compare. They were afraid of "marketing" poor estimates and losing non-resident hunters.

The area I hunt in central MN was up from last season based on my success hunting and how many I saw in November and December. The roadside count said it was down a whopping 66% and in the worst classification possible "very poor." Anecdotal evidence from my boots on the ground suggests otherwise.

I always say to take the roadside counts with a grain of salt. You're better off looking, scouting, and walking to see what the real numbers are. I think there are a lot of casual hunters out there that do use the roadside counts as a starting point in whether they will buy a license, and how long they will hunt when the season is open (based on the weather). A lot of those guys hunted all season which would explain the heavier hunting pressure on public land many here complained about.
Of course….but I still read the roadside counts and take them at face value. I’ve been hunting the same areas for 31 seasons, I don’t jump around based on bird #’s…my friendships dictate my hunting locale. A great farmer friend called Sunday to tell me one of his granddaughters wanted to come and visit “Uncle Mike” that day…I’m not her uncle, we got a good chuckle out of that. A few nights before, 2 cousins of hers did come visit, with their 32 year old dad, to deliver fresh eggs, and, to solicit us in a fundraiser for the school’s music program. 2 of us bought the $50 “variety pack” of coffee, caramel corn, etc. My friends COULD NOT believe how social, and confident, and funny these boys were…11 & 7…I took their dad hunting when he was a boy…he got his first pheasant at age 10, with me, on my ground. I framed a picture of him…he still thanks me for taking him hunting. He farms with his dad now. Pretty big player at age 32…this is what matters to me…I’ve been to all the weddings, graduations, funerals, etc… always will…was there for a wedding 9/16, went straight down there after hunting the prairie 450 miles away in a nearby state. I love hunting, but I enjoy the relationships just as much. This was the first place I happened upon in 1993…never left. Never will. Good area, great people!

Last edited:
Back