Opening weekend

Duckdog17

And, J?ger's first big upland hunt!
At 7 months, and with the bird numbers being the way they are, I didn't expect much. And truthfully, the goal was to just get him on birds, and to only shoot the ones he'd pointed and held.
I know...tough goal, but I plan on testing him and I want to instill that a pointed bird is a bird that ends up in his mouth...not a bumped bird.

So, Saturday, in an undisclosed location west of Topeka...
After getting jacked up on the first spot by a group that apparently got permission somehow...I moved on.

I hunted by myself all weekend, so I tried to find spots that one guy and a pup could work well.
So, I walked out an old dry creek bed that's just choked full of reeds and some kind of small fluffy cat tail like weeds.I'm not sure what it's called.
About 3/4ths of the way through it, just walking the edges, and J?ger going back and forth from one side to the other, he cuts around in front of me and locks up solid!
Two roosters flush out just seconds apart, and I get them both shot, but the first one hits the ground with the landing gear down and takes off!

By this time, J?ger is headed for the other side where he apparently saw number two land. I hated to do it, but I called him off to help run down the cripple, cuz I sure as hell wasn't going to be able to!
He hits the track never seeing the bird and makes it all the way to the other side of the wheat stubble where the rooster had re-entered the thick stuff.
He searched and searched, but that one got away from us. He must have cut through the thick stuff and kept running through the stubble on the other side.

Back to number 2...
I marked the general area by a tree. As soon as we approached, I gave him the "DEAD" command and he started bull dozing his way around in there. I couldn't see him, but I could sure hear him!
Then,...it got quiet. I took a gamble, hoping I wasn't calling him off his search, and said, "Bring him here"...
I dug out my phone and started snapping pics as he got closer...
8467C03B-C6E6-4B52-A2D1-3F3A7A0EFDB3-17330-00001EFE3666B9E4_zps320902ec.jpg

F479CA4F-BEC9-4952-B5F9-FB46B4F014EB-17330-00001EFDDCBAF03D_zps7112b6b0.jpg

ATTA BOY J?ger!!

30 minutes later...exact same scenario. No chasing or tracking, just a constant "hunt" and then a locked up point.
But, this one was a little easier to find!

0567EEAD-003A-4E66-992C-A10402D44B2A-17330-00001EFD6585AFCF_zpsbb036433.jpg

That ended up being the extent of our action on Saturday, but considering the bird numbers, and hunting solo with a 7 month old pup,...I was happy!
1B4B1B36-C321-45EC-B9EA-C8898B132E33-17330-00001EFD2E19F71C_zps0126f022.jpg

Sunday,...I figured I'd head out a ways to some land my buddy owns and hopefully lose the new guys that kept leap frogging me.
I parked up at the road so I could walk the quail buffer and the edge of the milo back into the thick stuff, but as I crested the hill about 1/2 mile in,...
Guess what I see. The same trucks that I've been trying to avoid!
We have signs posted all over the place that say "WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION",...but someone had told them...blah blah blah.
Totally messed up my whole plan. I hunted it anyway, but it was fruitless and I should have just left.
My next walk was close to 2 miles and I never saw a bird.
I just couldn't get back into the pheasants.
I finished the day walking an old wooded creek bottom. About 1/2 way through a 3/4 mile walk, J?ger locks up!
A really nice sized covey of quail busts out and I drop one.
J?ger found it, but he wasn't convinced it was dead.
49C2C3E8-6855-47C6-AF39-7131432BF874-18169-00002006390927C8_zps1963988a.jpg

We chased that covey all the way down the creek bottom but never got anymore shots. When they'd flush, and we'd find them again, they were already bunched back up. We never found one single out of the original covey. If he bumped them, I wouldn't shoot, and if he pointed, I couldn't get a shot! Quail in the trees can be trying!
I stayed and hunted 1/2 the day today. We woke to a heavy fog and the forecast of a major weather change, so I was hoping they'd hold in the grass a little later than normal.
The first big walk produced two hens squirting out the far end.
On our last walk, we pushed some milo down into a nice CRP bowl. J?ger got real birdy as soon as we hit the grass and I figured we had a runner.
Luckily, the rooster hit the bottom of the grass and cut left into some standing tumble weeds. Beyond that, it was short pasture so he had two choices, hold and hide, or fly.
He flew and I dropped him!
94FA6DE1-1428-4D9F-AC41-A7501A8A43A5-18976-000021280AD9592B_zps8b0178a4.jpg

It was a tough hunt for sure, but I feel we did pretty good considering.

Nice pictures and story! Really getting pumped to make the 1000 mile trip next week.
Man that fence post really looks familiar; I think I know exactly where that spot is:D

Great story to read and that dog is kick butt lookin too. Thanks for sharing the pics and story.

I just lost all concentration on my work for the day. Great story and sounds like you already have a great dog at 7 months!

outing

And, J?ger's first big upland hunt!
At 7 months, and with the bird numbers being the way they are, I didn't expect much. And truthfully, the goal was to just get him on birds, and to only shoot the ones he'd pointed and held.
I know...tough goal, but I plan on testing him and I want to instill that a pointed bird is a bird that ends up in his mouth...not a bumped bird.

So, Saturday, in an undisclosed location west of Topeka...
After getting jacked up on the first spot by a group that apparently got permission somehow...I moved on.

I hunted by myself all weekend, so I tried to find spots that one guy and a pup could work well.
So, I walked out an old dry creek bed that's just choked full of reeds and some kind of small fluffy cat tail like weeds.I'm not sure what it's called.
About 3/4ths of the way through it, just walking the edges, and J?ger going back and forth from one side to the other, he cuts around in front of me and locks up solid!
Two roosters flush out just seconds apart, and I get them both shot, but the first one hits the ground with the landing gear down and takes off!

By this time, J?ger is headed for the other side where he apparently saw number two land. I hated to do it, but I called him off to help run down the cripple, cuz I sure as hell wasn't going to be able to!
He hits the track never seeing the bird and makes it all the way to the other side of the wheat stubble where the rooster had re-entered the thick stuff.
He searched and searched, but that one got away from us. He must have cut through the thick stuff and kept running through the stubble on the other side.

Back to number 2...
I marked the general area by a tree. As soon as we approached, I gave him the "DEAD" command and he started bull dozing his way around in there. I couldn't see him, but I could sure hear him!
Then,...it got quiet. I took a gamble, hoping I wasn't calling him off his search, and said, "Bring him here"...
I dug out my phone and started snapping pics as he got closer...
8467C03B-C6E6-4B52-A2D1-3F3A7A0EFDB3-17330-00001EFE3666B9E4_zps320902ec.jpg

F479CA4F-BEC9-4952-B5F9-FB46B4F014EB-17330-00001EFDDCBAF03D_zps7112b6b0.jpg

ATTA BOY J?ger!!

30 minutes later...exact same scenario. No chasing or tracking, just a constant "hunt" and then a locked up point.
But, this one was a little easier to find!

0567EEAD-003A-4E66-992C-A10402D44B2A-17330-00001EFD6585AFCF_zpsbb036433.jpg

That ended up being the extent of our action on Saturday, but considering the bird numbers, and hunting solo with a 7 month old pup,...I was happy!
1B4B1B36-C321-45EC-B9EA-C8898B132E33-17330-00001EFD2E19F71C_zps0126f022.jpg

Sunday,...I figured I'd head out a ways to some land my buddy owns and hopefully lose the new guys that kept leap frogging me.
I parked up at the road so I could walk the quail buffer and the edge of the milo back into the thick stuff, but as I crested the hill about 1/2 mile in,...
Guess what I see. The same trucks that I've been trying to avoid!
We have signs posted all over the place that say "WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION",...but someone had told them...blah blah blah.
Totally messed up my whole plan. I hunted it anyway, but it was fruitless and I should have just left.
My next walk was close to 2 miles and I never saw a bird.
I just couldn't get back into the pheasants.
I finished the day walking an old wooded creek bottom. About 1/2 way through a 3/4 mile walk, J?ger locks up!
A really nice sized covey of quail busts out and I drop one.
J?ger found it, but he wasn't convinced it was dead.
49C2C3E8-6855-47C6-AF39-7131432BF874-18169-00002006390927C8_zps1963988a.jpg

We chased that covey all the way down the creek bottom but never got anymore shots. When they'd flush, and we'd find them again, they were already bunched back up. We never found one single out of the original covey. If he bumped them, I wouldn't shoot, and if he pointed, I couldn't get a shot! Quail in the trees can be trying!
I stayed and hunted 1/2 the day today. We woke to a heavy fog and the forecast of a major weather change, so I was hoping they'd hold in the grass a little later than normal.
The first big walk produced two hens squirting out the far end.
On our last walk, we pushed some milo down into a nice CRP bowl. J?ger got real birdy as soon as we hit the grass and I figured we had a runner.
Luckily, the rooster hit the bottom of the grass and cut left into some standing tumble weeds. Beyond that, it was short pasture so he had two choices, hold and hide, or fly.
He flew and I dropped him!
94FA6DE1-1428-4D9F-AC41-A7501A8A43A5-18976-000021280AD9592B_zps8b0178a4.jpg

It was a tough hunt for sure, but I feel we did pretty good considering.

good for you, sure makes a hunt fun except for the competition you were getting

cheers

Great hunt, wonderful work by a 7 month old pup. Must have a great trainer.:)

Your pictures took me back twenty-some years. You are embarking on a great decade (at least) with a hunting partner that will mark the rest of your life.

Congratulations.

:thumbsup:

Thanks guys!
You know, you come home from a trip like that totally beat down, wore out, and exhausted, but I still can't wait to do it again!

(And in case anyone hasn't figured it out, the "A" in his name has an umlaut (two dots) above it and this site apparently doesn't recognize it so it changes it to a "?".

B5525863-FBCE-4970-B4CB-1FAB9A852519-18169-000020067BD616AC_zps81edbf84.jpg

I bet he is a big boy when he is older. Beautiful pup. My gsp female is so thin skinned and soft I bet if she had that hair it would help with the stubble that rubs her raw pretty quick. She never gives up tho. My E.Ps used to be good for a few stitches about every 4 days in the field and would wear themselves raw everywhere. The gsp wears her muzzle raw due to hunting with her head a little lower than the EPs

Thanks guys.
You know, I'm kind of unsure on how big he's gonna get. He goes through phases of, one day he looks skinny, and then the next, he looks big! :)

I'm hoping for somewhere around 70-75 pounds, but I'd be happy on either side really. That course hair does help protect them. He hunted sun up to sundown both Saturday and Sunday, and then 1/2 a day on Monday, and some of it was some pretty wicked cover, and I don't see any wear at all. Even his feet are in pretty good shape and I can't tell you how many goat heads we had to stop and pull out. Hate those damn things!
He is pretty tired though...he only chased our Jack Russell around the yard for an hour instead of 2! ;)

Thanks for clarification on the name. That was bothering me for some reason. Sounds like a tough but productive hunt given the bird numbers and new pup. Keep at it!

Back