Opening day!!!!!!

Gonna call myself in, in the morn either way.

Took a couple more picks as someone asked me about spurs forming. So I went out and took these.

Kinda looks to me like there are nubs starting on both legs.
20091118_11.jpg

..And these are the tailfeathers that got me as they are all 4-6 inches longer than any others. Had a lot of green starting to show on the neck as well, but I am not sure hat means a thing or not.!
20091118_09.jpg

What does everyone think they will do to me for my dog bagging it anyway?

Have you seen The Cowboy Way? You know the scene with the guy tied up and the baby calf looking for dinner; that's probably what they'll do to you! :eek:

I wouldn't worry about it. It's obviously an honest mistake. You already cleaned the bird, right? Then just do with it what you would do with a rooster; eat it. Just be sure to make this your last hen.

If you truly feel you should turn yourself in, they'll probably just hit you with a fine.

On a side note; I'm not sure how much pheasant hunting you've done, but distinguishing between a hen and rooster can be a bit tricky at first. Hens do have tail feathers, but hey are much shorter than roosters (For an example, see previous pictures in this post :D -just bustin your ballz). You need to learn to look for that green head and lllllllloooooooooonnnnnnnngggggggg tail.

Just eat it and go on with your life. My dog caght one last year that didnt make it and thats what I did. I guess if a warden pulls you over then fess up but if he doesnt............

Have you seen The Cowboy Way? You know the scene with the guy tied up and the baby calf looking for dinner; that's probably what they'll do to you! :eek:

I wouldn't worry about it. It's obviously an honest mistake. You already cleaned the bird, right? Then just do with it what you would do with a rooster; eat it. Just be sure to make this your last hen.

If you truly feel you should turn yourself in, they'll probably just hit you with a fine.

On a side note; I'm not sure how much pheasant hunting you've done, but distinguishing between a hen and rooster can be a bit tricky at first. Hens do have tail feathers, but hey are much shorter than roosters (For an example, see previous pictures in this post :D -just bustin your ballz). You need to learn to look for that green head and lllllllloooooooooonnnnnnnngggggggg tail.

My dog jumped it. I never even fired a shot yesterday.

This stuff happens. Im not one to leave game in the field If me or my dog makes a mistake. Eat it and move on.

My dog jumped it. I never even fired a shot yesterday.

I realize that. Hope everyone's advice to just eat it re-assures you that this stuff happens every now and then. My dog caught a pheasant last year; luckily it was a rooster. Happy hunting!

I would roll it in some batter and then dip it in some hot oil :). As the other guys said this kind of thing will happen. In my book if its dead anyway its better to eat it then throw it on the ground and leave it.

Thanks everyone.

FYI...I sent an e-mail in this morning w/ the same picks and the person told me "looks like a young rooster to me", and said not to worry about it. They will show it to a bio and get back to me. Praised me for reporting it either way and first thoughts were they would not be ticketing me either way, but I should not hold them to that comment until I hear back.

Kepp me fingers crossed!

Got a response back from a "Phil" at the Ft Collins office and their consensus was that it was a "very young rooster" and I should simply count it against my bag & possesion limit.

In the future, they suggest simply taking it into the closest DOW & in "all likelyhood" I would not be ticketed they would probably just confiscate the bird. The main reasoning for bringing it in, was that by doing so I could prove that it was not shot, but was in fact only grabbed by my dog.

Made great sense to me and I was most appreciative of how nice they were to work with on the matter! Many thanks to the DOW on this fine day!

WHEW!

Better man than I

Not sure if I would have made such an effort. I would have felt guilty and stupid if I shot a hen, but if that ever happens I'll probably eat it. :rolleyes: And thats one thing about my old white face setter it can't jump..

Cool & funny story, glad it all worked out with the DOW & they weren't royal hineys about it...BTW, does anyone know what this means finding such late broods of young chicks? Is this semi-normal on occasion or just totally weird? Will such young birds this late in the year even make it to adulthood, or will the bulk of them just be either wiped out by the cold or become easy fodder for the predators?

That is a good question. Around the the same two circles she grabbed these, she also found three dead brids. Two roosters pretty much eaten, and an untouched hen. Though they were all grown, and the hen since she looked untouched may have been shot or died of other means. I did see canine tracks all around one of the roosters, so I am assuming yotes had a nice lunch.

From all I have read and heard, this is kind of typical during such a wet & warm year. The way some of the chicks were flying they would be easy prey for foxes or coyotes. They would jump ok, but only fly short distances and then back down to jump and try again. Other flew away no problemo!:confused:

Also, I have got to give it to the DOW folks I have ran into this year!:10sign: And I have been checked while fishing and hunting more this year than probably the last ten years combined, but all but one that I can remember have been super about whatever it was. Whether it was checking license, guns, tags, bag, game, fish or whatever only one was a real cocky jerk. Of course, I have been out hunting & fishing more than ever before as I was laid off back in June and still struggling to find work! Though it probably doesn't help with finding something when I have been out having a ball in the outdoors! [77] nights I have camped from April's first turkey season to lasts week's elk hunt!

Back