Opening Day w/ Tom Brokaw

Flushedup

Did anyone have a chance to watch this last night on NBCsports? I thought it was well done. Sure he visited places that I would never (financially) be able to see, but the story was great. Got the juices flowing :10sign:

Didn't see it on broadcast TV, must have been a cable show, right? I wish I could have seen it. Brokaw has always been an admired profesional in his profession. Wonder if there is going to be a later public broadcast?

Went searching after your post and found this good news on him:

Tom Brokaw confirmed on the ?Today? show Thursday morning that he recently got some very good health news regarding his cancer diagnosis: The treatments are working and moving in a positive direction.

The former ?NBC Nightly News? anchor announced earlier this year he had multiple myeloma, an incurable but treatable type of cancer that affects blood cells in the bone marrow. Brokaw, who retired in 2004, was back on the ?Today? show for a special week during which current and former NBC journalists fill in for co-host Savannah Guthrie while she?s on maternity leave.

During an ?Ask Tom Brokaw Anything? segment, Matt Lauer said the overwhelming question from viewers was how he was feeling.

?Actually, I am doing fine,? Brokaw, 74, said. ?I got some very good news?I hope that within six weeks I can be on a drug maintenance program. The myeloma appears to be gone.?

?I?ve got one more marker to be down to zero-zero, and I?ll be all right,? he added.

Brokaw said he knows he?s very lucky in the sense that he had great resources, a supportive family and was in good shape going into the treatment. ?I am very conscious of what other cancer victims are going through. It doesn?t always work out well,? he said. ?This will not go away, away, but we can manage it chronically and that?s all I ask.?

It was on an obscure cable channel, yes. I only heard about it on twitter then stayed up to watch it. I would imagine if you looked around on the internet you could find it on youtube or something. It was interesting to see how jacked up Cabelas in Mitchell gets the Friday before opener. Like Black Friday :D

Looks like it was on NBCSN. Wish I could watch it, but my dial-up server would take two weeks to download it. Thanks for the info.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, November 5th, 2014
?OPENING DAY? WITH TOM BROKAW TO PREMIERE NOVEMBER 19 AT 11 P.M. ET ON NBCSN

One Hour Special Chronicles Opening Day of Legendary Pheasant Hunting Season in South Dakota

Brokaw Returns to Native State To Share and Showcase Annual Outdoor Sports Tradition

Stamford, Conn ? November 5, 2014 ? Opening Day with Tom Brokaw, a one hour special which chronicles Opening Day of South Dakota?s legendary pheasant hunting season, will debut on Wednesday, November 19 at 11 p.m. ET on NBCSN.

Brokaw, one of the greatest storytellers of his generation, returns to his home state of South Dakota to take viewers through the hunting fields and introduce them to the people that highlight every third Saturday in October. Brokaw has been attending Opening Day for more than 25 years.

Opening Day will invite viewers inside a unique and cherished sporting and cultural experience, and a very personal part of Tom?s life,? said Mark Levy, Senior Vice President, Original Productions and Creative, NBC Sports Group. ?Tom is the perfect guide for this compelling story, through interviews with friends, new acquaintances and those who make the journey to Opening Day every season.?

?Opening Day of pheasant hunting season in South Dakota is more than a tradition, it?s a major cultural and economic event,? said Brokaw. ?Opening Day is a project I have wanted to do and share with viewers for many years.?

Opening Day segments include:

Mitchell, South Dakota: Brokaw takes viewers to Mitchell, South Dakota for one of the sport?s biggest social events of the year, the Pheasants Forever banquet. Featuring more than 600 hunters from across the United States, Brokaw introduces viewers to a collection of participants who all celebrate many different relationships and experiences that are directly tied to the annual tradition of Opening Day in South Dakota.

Paul Nelson Farm: Opening Day examines the origins of South Dakota as the pheasant hunting capital, a $200 million dollar business in the state. Opening Day also highlights the places, people and practices that manage the pheasant population. Brokaw gives viewers a tour of the historic and exclusive Paul Nelson Farm, and speaks with United States Senator John Thune, from South Dakota, and award-winning outdoor sports author, host and producer Chris Dorsey.

Opening Day: Cameras join Brokaw and a cast of other hunters as they go through their final Opening Day preparations and out into the field. Brokaw is joined by some of his closest friends and hunting partners, including cable television pioneer and outdoorsman Ted Turner. Viewers are also introduced to a father-and-son team who are hunting together for the very first time.

Opening Day is one of a series of specials and documentaries that Brokaw has collaborated on with NBC Sports and Olympics. Most recently, Brokaw worked with NBC Sports Group on Space Race, which aired within NBC?s coverage of the Sochi Olympics and chronicled the Cold War space race that took place between the United States and the Soviet Union. Additional projects include Their Finest Hour, which aired during the London Olympics, and Operation Yellow Ribbon, which aired during the Vancouver Games.

Opening Day is produced by Jim Thompson, Mark Levy, Senior Vice President, Original Productions and Creative, NBC Sports Group; and Joe Gesue, Senior Vice President, Production, NBC Olympics and Executive Editor NBC Sports Group.

I REALLY enjoyed "Opening Day" a lot of very good stories within the show, family reunions, PF banquets, family farms,Ted Turner 150,000 acre ranch, HIGH priced lodges, new young hunters, good and ?? dog work. The GREAT tradition of pheasant opening day in S.D. It was a very VERY good program !!! NBC SN (sports network )

I enjoyed it too. I though they showed a very wide spectrum of South Dakota Pheasant Hunting experiences. Although I would say they did not touch of some of the style of hunting and experience that we on this forum most enjoy. You certainly don't have to go to a high end lodge to experience camaraderie and fellowship.

It was on an obscure cable channel, yes. I only heard about it on twitter then stayed up to watch it. I would imagine if you looked around on the internet you could find it on youtube or something. It was interesting to see how jacked up Cabelas in Mitchell gets the Friday before opener. Like Black Friday :D

It was an excellent piece of film, that's for sure. However, I have serious doubts about that young married couple that bought a shotgun in Cabelas. :rolleyes:

)pening Day

I tried to find if NBCSN has it scheduled for re-broadcast, but could find nothing.

It will air again Wed. Nov.26 at 12:30 AM EST on DIREC TV channel 220. I plan on staying up to watch it, although at 61 I may have to take a nap earlier in the evening in order to do so!

CHAT,

The week 6 group took another 62 off the farm. They said I need more land and there won't be enough birds left for the rest of the hunters. HA! And after that I asked them if they got thru everything in 3 days and to that they said "No".

Hey that couple in the store. They were entertaining for sure. When he said 870 I was thinking new not a collectable. How old was that thing. She like the lines on the old forestock. Go figure.:cheers:

I dvr'd it and watched it with the family last night. They enjoyed it as it had some great footage in there and some good stories. Wife was getting a little nervous about where the Dallas, SD story was going for a while.

It doesn't reflect my hunting experiences in SD but I think it captured the event aspects of opening day very well. Especially the traditions of the locals hunting with family or the traditions of the non-residents who make an annual pilgrimage.

Would have liked to see a little more time spent on Brokaw's annual hunt with old friends. That interested me more than some of the topics they spent more time on. Could have also done a better job explaining how Tom was actually able to hunt pheasants before Opening Day. Guessing people not familiar with the preserve culture were having trouble understanding that aspect.

Back