Opener

Yes, generally the thick stuff is where the birds will be when they aren't feeding. Usually the thicker the better! But where I was, the "thick stuff" usually means lowland where the farmer just couldn't cultivate. And this is all under water right now:mad: So the birds are more unpredictable than usual. Beat them out of the corn, then find them in the thick scraps and fencerows. Good luck.

plots lands the best to hunt??? the get hunted the most i thought??? im trying to avoid them if i can there on every bodys hit list correct???

i also dont like a pheasant shoot but after a few days of being walked around in circles by pheasants every once in awhile i like to get a bird in the bag that didnt break my balls to get in hand lol

thanks for the honest reports guys & your views on things crops # ETC. i plan to hunt more tough terrain on my trip cattails with woody cover grass & crops near by or all in close proximity in my experience in MN the birds are not in the CRP or just grass cover i will skip that cover till a get a bird in the bag & want to hunt sharptails or huns??? the thick S*** is wear i will be looking for pheasants is this not a good idea in ND??? im not scared to work that cover for birds if i know they are there most guys just want to walk the CRP & grass...
I never said they were the best to hunt, but simply that I was hunting them. There are plenty of plots that hardly get touched. Can't really hunt cattails right now as it is mainly water. Once it freezes it will be great. I try to hunt the rough stuff, and that was one of the reasons I got a lab this time around. My father is 70, so it is usually just me going through. He still prefers the easy open fields, we just have less luck there.

I like to hunt, ya know, plot the best areas to see birds, look for signs of birds, where is their food, where is their water, where is their cover,

sorry 94NDTA wasnt trying to call you out or anything just trying to see how the hunter pressure was i herd avoid the plots sat-mon or so cuz the get hit hard by the wk-end warriors i thought that maid sense??? but ND is huge & lots of PLOTS to hunt so they all cant be bet down all the time...

i feel you 100% on the father thing i have a 62 yr father with major medical issues "throat cancer & heart" over the cancer but the heart is hard to get around he has a pace maker & defibulater so he sure as hell cant hit the thick cattails with me so we have to pick & choose wear he hunts my dad dose not want to be all time poster yet he loves the hunt so we have to find what cover he can do & hunt it with good dogs...

my SM is a young dog & a pointer but she handles cattails like a champ digs in & when u here her stop get ready then tell her to get em up & they flush its kinda like having a pointing flusher works great for me!!! i have a 72-78 pound bulldog so i already have a big dog im trying to get a small hunting dog that can go all day not that labs cant do that they are great dogs i just prefer a smaller dog to get under the thick stuff & wiggle through it her nose & eyes take a beating thow... she could care less lol

thanks again for the report 94NDTA happy you are having success out in pheasant country ND

sorry 94NDTA wasnt trying to call you out or anything just trying to see how the hunter pressure was i herd avoid the plots sat-mon or so cuz the get hit hard by the wk-end warriors i thought that maid sense??? but ND is huge & lots of PLOTS to hunt so they all cant be bet down all the time...

i feel you 100% on the father thing i have a 62 yr father with major medical issues "throat cancer & heart" over the cancer but the heart is hard to get around he has a pace maker & defibulater so he sure as hell cant hit the thick cattails with me so we have to pick & choose wear he hunts my dad dose not want to be all time poster yet he loves the hunt so we have to find what cover he can do & hunt it with good dogs...

my SM is a young dog & a pointer but she handles cattails like a champ digs in & when u here her stop get ready then tell her to get em up & they flush its kinda like having a pointing flusher works great for me!!! i have a 72-78 pound bulldog so i already have a big dog im trying to get a small hunting dog that can go all day not that labs cant do that they are great dogs i just prefer a smaller dog to get under the thick stuff & wiggle through it her nose & eyes take a beating thow... she could care less lol

thanks again for the report 94NDTA happy you are having success out in pheasant country ND

Plot as in plan the best spots to hunt, not PLOTS.

No problem. If you go that way let me know how the crops are doing.

i got you that man with the plot & PLOTs thing lol i got mixed up

will do that on the crops im watch n the weather & planing my trip now i figure i will go around NOV. 5 - NOV. 19 hope the crops are off by then???

you also keep us posted on the crops if you head out to pheasant land as well...

mite be cool to get our 2 fathers out on a hunt if things could work out & we could share a hunt together??? we could hit the thick stuff & they could post??? just throwing it out there man...

take care man happy safe hunting to you & yours this season...

Just came across ND in the daylight from MT. Hiway #50 to 52 to Jamestown to Fargo. Man! is it wet!!! to the NW. Like you guys say, water standing in the fields.
Corn is coming out though, where they can get to it. Lots of it will be there until freeze up. Good thing for the birds. Freeze up will also eliminate Fall tillage, also good for the birds.
Highway 50 in extreme NW ND has some of the best pheasant habitat I've seen anywhere. Lots if hilly, draws, brushy cover type stuff mixed in with wheat stubble Roosters on the road!:thumbsup:
And no visible bird hunters.

And no visible bird hunters.

Blame the Balken.

Lodging is the main issue in that part of ND. Even campgrounds can be hard to find. Fuel and grocery prices are high in that region and with all the influx of people - crime (albiet mostly petty crimes) are on a rampant rise.

Lock your camper door and pickup topper at night.

When pheasant counts are average or above - it is indeed a fantastic place for pointing dogs and their owners to hunt. Hunted that region for many, many years, but family has since moved away from that area.

i was going to head that way 2 yrs B4 the oil boom & even then the local we were going to hunt with said lock ur doors & be prepared for broken windows??? i guess that was always a issue with non residents ive only herd that about the NW ND region guess now its much worse???

yeah they want big $$$ for a crappy dirty room in the NW part of the state im sure the amount of non resident hunters dropped a bunch in that region pushed them hunters to other areas of ND or out of ND all together???

Two NW tier counties had under 5K residents combined. One real hotel in Divide County and they did not take dogs - even back years ago.

Never had any issues with any petty crime or theft in the 90s or 00s.

herd the same thing from a hunter i met pheasant hunting in MN got to talking about the ND oil boom & how it effects the birds ETC. & he was saying he had somebody go through his open truck 1 year didnt take anything he could tell???

it was near the REZ so he blamed them??? same with my buddy said he had all the windows broke out of his old farm house & booze taken??? i told em sounds like kids/teens???

no wear is immune i guess??? it has gotten worse in ND with all the riff raff coming in from other states but its still ND

All I can say is, Bakken oils is nuts!
Talk about growing pains!
Road construction, traffic, avoid all if you can.

Pheasant numbers generally are down, as season progresses and harvest moves along the number of birds huntable have improved. At least enough birds to keep hunter and dog interested.

Need a new CRP program, without birds will not recover. ND has plenty of food needs nesting habitat.

ust returned from a 5 day trip to South Central ND, I would say at least 50% of the crop is still up, maybe a little more. We had an extremely hard time finding bird and this area is not the least bit new to us, as we have been going here for 4-5 years. For me, a large part of knowing there are birds around are the drive out to the spots in the morning and the last hour of hunting. These are times when the birds are out and moving around, crossing the road, flying to spots to roost for the night, etc..In 5 days of hunting we saw 2 birds in the morning and 1 group of birds flying into a large field at night. It was unbelievable. There is a property we get permission to hunt on that has 3 very nice tree groves, each time we would walk them down in previous years we would see a minimum of 25-50 birds (no matter which month or weather conditions), and even hunting them 2-3 times a day. This year we not only did not shoot a bird, we did not even get ONE bird up. The corn was even down in this specific spot too. It was very discouraging to see the drop in bird numbers firsthand (rather than just reading posts of other people who had similar results in different areas). Some decent PLOTS in the area, although many did have cattle on them or were mowed. Did see an unusual amount of hens on the trip though, many groups of 5-10.

We talked with a few farmers in the area and all of them said how they just weren't seeing the birds this year...bummer. We did have some luck here and there, but definately a steep drop from previous years. Nonetheless, it was still a good trip and I was happy to get my year old Springer Spaniel out to get some work in.

A bad day of hunting is always better than a good day at the office :thumbsup:

Back